Thursday 12 February 2009

Q. What are you doing? A. Not going on Twitter



Well, the votes have been cast, the results counted and not verified, and the verdict is that out of ten of you who could be arsed to vote, six of you said you'd follow me on Twitter. Which is bad news for six people as I won't be Twittering any time soon.

I don't know how to access the internet on my phone (which is surely essential for any serious Twitterer; I'm so thick, aren't I?), my life is nowhere near interesting enough for anyone to want to 'follow' it on Twitter (my life bores me so it's bound to bore anyone else) and when you look at what Stephen Fry posts on Twitter (like 'I've just finished a day's filming at Twentieth Century Fox studios in Los Angeles'), then what chance do you stand of getting yourself noticed?

Not only that, there was a Twitter item on The One Show last night and Christine Bleakley said she didn't Twitter and didn't see the point of it. So that's that. I use The Bleakley as a kind of life coach, even though she doesn't know it. Gyles Brandreth did the item and he Twitters. I could rest my case right there.

The thing is, is it just fad? In 2001 it was Friends Reunited (which I may have made myself look a complete tit on last week, but never mind), 2004 it was eBay, 2006 was MySpace's year and a couple of year's ago it was Facebook.

Now I've come to quite like Facebook. You can post videos on there without clogging up your blog. There's some fantastic pictures of me as a kid and adolescent on there and it's enabled me to come back into contact with people I haven't seen for years. As well as come into contact with charming and witty people who share my enthusiasm for early 80s footballers and looking through the CD sale at Sainsbury's.

So, you Twitterers, enjoy yourself and think of all the fun I'm missing out on.

While I'm at it, does anyone here use Spotify?

10 comments:

Matthew Rudd said...

Stuart Ian Burns - he of the marvellous Feeling Listless - uses Spotify and talks about it a lot. Oddly enough, he publicises it mainly on Twitter...

Bright Ambassador said...

If that's some kind af backhanded way to get me to go on Twitter, Mr Rudd, then I've seen through your cunning plan. Not cunning enough, was it? You'd have to get up VERY early to catch me out. In fact, you'd have to stay up ALL NIGHT. Ha!

Matthew Rudd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bright Ambassador said...

I wondered what 'onstinate' meant too.

Mondo said...

I've reached my personal limit (read:interest)for social networking sites ..

Blogging - all for it..

Myspace - great way to interact with low-level bands..

Facebook - a good way to keep things simmering socially

But I won't be twittering, spottifying. mog'ing or listen.fm'ing either

Bright Ambassador said...

Is Spotify social networking? I've gone on it this week and it makes a great jukebox for those of us who don't have millions of tracks stored on our hard drives. I'm interested if there's a social network element though, because I'd love to have a nose at other people's playlists.

And what's mog'ing when it's at home?

Valentine Suicide said...

I'm on Spotify, but haven't used it in anger yet.

I'm not on Twitter and won't be going on. How many different different ways do you need to do the same thing? Isn't twitter just like Facebooks status updates?

How about Mr Rudd getting himself on Facebook, where many of the bloggers (well Woo, BA and I) already live?

Valentine Suicide said...

I said different twice deliberately. Not because I'm a div..

Valentine Suicide said...

..and Mondo's on FB... I believe Five Centres is too, though I don't know his secret identity.

Clair said...

I feel like part of a secret society now. 31 of my Facebook chums are bloggers (I counted) - and I love the fact that I know their alter egos AND the real person.