Thursday 26 February 2009

Enter Metallica


This blog post was supposed to be about the joys of shopping in Fopp (the complete Day Today and Badlands DVDs and Nirvana's In Utero, and got change out of £15!), the horrors of dining in a restaurant alone (something I'm going to have to get used to) and the excellence of Waterstone's staying open till 7pm (I expanded my 'graphic novel' library). And also about the sinking feeling when you realise you've gone out without putting your watch on, I feel naked without a watch.
I wasn't going to mention why I was wondering the streets of Nottingham alone. I was there to see Metallica and I know that absolutely nobody who reads this would be interested in that, but sod it, if you don't like it, look away now.


Metallica are one of only two bands who I genuinely get excited about just before they hit the stage (the others being Rush, yeah, I know, I know...). It's been a long time since I last saw them, and I was so excited I thought I was going to wee myself.

Bloody hell, it was good. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's the best concert I've ever been to. The stage was 'in the round' (one big stage in the middle of the floor), that was a fantastic idea. The drum kit started off facing away from me and I found it intensely fascinating to watch a drummer from the back. Playing the drums - especially a double bass kit - obviously isn't as easy as it appears. During the set the drum kit gradually revolved to face different parts of the audience. There were eight microphones dotted around the stage so James Hetfield come move around during the course of a song and still keep singing. The band aren't even constrained by effects pedals - the roadies do all that for them.

There are other benefits to a 'round' stage. For a start the band have nowhere to hide, you get to look at your band member of choice whenever you like, even if they've got their back to you. You can also see them when they go offstage for a break during a short solo spot and see what they get up to (even if it is only changing a shirt, having a drink and talking to the instrument techs). Also with a 'round' stage, nobody in the crowd's ever all that far from the stage, especially in a relatively 'small' arena like Nottingham's. There's also the small matter of the band having to walk through the audience to get to the stage. Can you imagine U2 doing that?

Metallica have got a ton of stick over the past ten years over downloading and not being very nice to their fans (I'd like to say here that they were very misunderstood, and I'm not a Lars Ulrich apologist by any means). But I've been looking at their website this morning and I can't think of a better artist website. There's online Twitter-style tour updates, pictures from last night (the picture at the top of this post was taken last night), tour video reports, and by the weekend there'll be a recording of last night's show to be in my iPod. That's a proper recording, not a crappy bootleg.

They went over time because the crowd kept calling them back. They got fined. They didn't care. I went hoarse from shouting. I want to go and see them again soon.

I'm not an advocate of male crying, but even I was filling up at the end. After seeing Some Kind of Monster - although a fascinating document on human relationships - I thought I'd never see them again as it's heartbreaking to see one of your favourite bands on the verge of splitting.

They've come back stronger and better than ever. Even grizzly metal bands have the power to make a grown man cry.


Finally, I notice in August they're playing a racecourse in Ireland called 'Fairyhouse'. Is there a more un-metal name for a venue?

6 comments:

Mondo said...

You've got me buzzed up for them now, whenever I've been to Scotland they make a superb soundtrack for riding round the Glens..my eldest's getting in to them now (we got him a Metallica T for his 12th Birthday)

Double Drums are killer kit - I'd say Motorhead's Overkill (album version with the endless reprises) is one of the best uses commited to tape..

PS - what Graphic Novels did you get?

Bright Ambassador said...

I finally got round to buying Watchmen. I like Alan Moore.

As I've just had a lovely exchange of email from the very excellent Howard, and you've mentioned t-shirts, can I direct you to his website?
http://www.saltyrockz.com/
*Psst* he's an ex-editor of Metal Hammer and wrote for Kerrang! for ten years. Good shirts too.

Valentine Suicide said...

Blimey, but you've got it bad? I've never been a fan, but after reading that I want to go.

I was a Prince concert where he had the stage in the middle of the room, and it was quite amusing to see his tiny frame, flanked by huge bodyguards runnung through the crowd.

Why are you having to dine alone? Or shouldn't I ask?

The Cat said...

I watched "Some Kind of Monster" on Monday morning as I recovered form a bout of KFC-induced food poisoning.

I'm not really into their music but the docu was really good, Lars was a twat most of the time and Phil the shrink had the worse clothes I have ever seen. EVER! You'd think for $40,000 a month he could have afforded some decent clobber.

droach75 said...

Have you seen the Metallica Lego vids on YouTube. I have Whiplash on my blog.

check it out:

http://tastemeyouwillsee.blogspot.com/2009/02/lego-metallica.html

I also did a Metallica top 10 gigs:

http://tastemeyouwillsee.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-top-10-metallica-gigs.html.

I also did a post of a load of cool pics of my fav Hammett guitars.

Bright Ambassador said...

Droach - I reckon Hetfield has the better guitars these days. I love that black Les Paul with the Iron Cross on it, and the 'rusty' Les Paul.

The Cat - Yeah, Phil's sweaters are rather eye-watering, aren't they? The good thing about that film is that you can enjoy it WITHOUT being a fan. In fact, being a fan is probabaly a hindrance.

VS - Don't ask. And I know they're not every one's cup o' meat, but I love 'em. It's just a big, dumb-arsed rock show, and I loved it.