Tuesday 10 February 2009

Life in a shite East Midlands town


Thanks to a heads-up by the mighty Woo, I've just been listening to this. It's a great listen, fucking hilarious in fact.

What I loved was his disdain for Long Eaton. All small East Midlands' towns must be like that, I know it's the same here. The way he says that nobody wants to do anything is spot-on. If I go out into town for a drink on a weekend you see the same faces that I saw when I first started going into town drinking in the late 80s.

And the whole "Luke 'Aines!? Oo the 'ell's ee when ee's at 'ome?" kind of attitude still exists too. I told my family members I was going to see The Mighty Boosh live and that was "The Mighty Boosh!? What the 'ell's that when it's at 'ome?"

And I've just had a woman on the phone who was looking for my business to service my car call me 'ducky' at the end of the conversation. "Thanks, ducky". Er, shouldn't that be "Thanks Mr Ambassador?" (Even though that isn't my real name, clearly, but you worked it out, right? I mean, you're not from Newark).

It makes my head want to crumple inwards like a slowly deflating balloon.



No comments: