Tuesday 6 January 2009

To cut a reformation short, I lost my mind


Of course one of the things I love about working late shift is that I can listen to Radcliffe & Maconie on Radio2 of an evening. I tuned in last night for the first time in ages and it really is a show full of delight. What a musical selection: The Yardbirds, Split Enz, David Bowie, Rush (yay!), The Divine Comedy, Nick Lowe, Marvine Gaye, Radiohead, Fleet Foxes, Lily Allen and Iggy Pop, amongst others, all got an airing last night. As well as a three song set by Adrian Edmondson's band, The Bad Shepherds. They play folk covers of punk and new wave songs; last night's set featured songs by The Clash (even an anti-Clash fan like me got a load of enjoyment from hearing I Fought the Law on the uilleann pipes and bodhran), Kraftwerk and Wreckless Eric.
I know I bang on about the R&M show sometimes but they really are worth listening to if you're disenchanted with the telly of an evening.

The R&M show last night mentioned this story about Spandau Ballet getting back together. I keep banging on about 80s reformations too, but why do this? Everybody knows that Hadley and Gary Kemp hate each other so it's so nakedly about earning loadsa cash it makes me sick. Here's the most telling quote from that small article: "It would be a great, fun comeback and very lucrative for the band." Just take out the words 'great' and 'fun' and you're getting there. No doubt the fortysomething fans'll be queueing up for tickets. Don't go, you're only encouraging them.
I'll give Hadley the same advice I gave Midge Ure a month or so ago: don't do it Tony - you can be crap on your own without four other kilted and tartan-tea-towelled-bedecked mongs as well.

8 comments:

Jon Peake said...

Of all the 80s bands whose music I used to like, I think Spandau's music does't really stand the test of time like some others. I only liked a handful of songs as it was, but you can't beat To Cut A Long Story Short, it's a classic and a floorfiller.

What I want to know is: The Thompson Twins - why no revival?

And don't say it's because they're shit.

The Cat said...

I agree about the New Romantic Spandau as opposed to the supper club Ballet.

I have no problem with Ultravox reforming as I thought they were a consistently good singles band.

The Thompson Twins? I'd put them somewhere in between the two although nearer to the 'Vox as Lies, In the Name of Love and Love On Your Side were good pop.

The Cat said...

Forgot to say that I love listening to Stuart Maconie and Mark Radcliffe. Radcliffe's shift with Lisa Tarbuck, when they sat in for Steve Wright, was great radio and wasted on most of my colleagues. Why is the radio so bloody low in my office? I make a point of shushing everyone when Popmaster is on. I won it once, with 33. The DAB radio is really good.

Bright Ambassador said...

FC - I don't know why The Thompson Twins are non-reunioners either. It might suprise you to learn that I actually quite liked them at the time. My sister used to work in a record shop and got me a load of promo gear for their Into the Gap LP.
Besides, Tom Bailey's birthday's the same as mine, so he's obviously touched with greatness. Ho ho!
And what about Talk Talk?

MG - I'm gradually compiling a list of people who hate Wright. Thing is, if you put Radcliffe if his slot, the nighttime show won't be the same with just Maconie. Who knows what'll happen with a new controller. Do we know who it is yet? If it's Andy Parsons, we're laughing.

office pest said...

Yeah Talk Talk I'd love to see again. Thompson Twins and Howard Jones though no thanks they irritate me. I'm more of a H17/League man myself though. And Kraftwerk.
But to your post - I can't see what difference it would make if Spandau did get back together, as really it is all about Hadley's voice and anyone can play backing.
Unless we want to enjoy again the sight of Gary looking mardy because no-one realises, or no one cares if they do realise, that HE wrote the songs - look at ME ME ME.
Actually that would be worth a ticket (under £30).

Clair said...

Maybe the TT non-reunion is 'cos Tom and Alannah are no longer a couple - she's back in London making poncey furniture...

Bright Ambassador said...

Your knowledge on the ex-members of Thompson and Thompson impresses me. Mind you, I didn't even know they were a couple in the first place. Derrr!

Rap, boy, rap!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=avVCQj0EWDU

Rapping was obviously still something of a novelty, I guess.

Clair said...

Yes, I was something of a fan, and my teenage attachment for Tom Bailey has led to much heartbreak even now...but that's another long story!

Anyway, didn't modern mainstream rap start with Rapture by Blondie?