Friday 9 January 2009

Sugar-flavoured snot


I've just been eating my dinner while watching telly just now (yeah, get me the posh bastard), and I saw an advert for this. Who in their right minds sits there and thinks "Hmm, do you know what, I could really do with every episode of The Little House on the Prairie just in case of emergencies. Then my life would be complete. And the thing is it'd be even lovelier if they could build up week by week as an amazing partwork complete with behind-the-scenes magazine."
I think G E Fabbri need to have a word with their marketing department though. The ad was shown during a break in last night's Dexter, not exactly a shared audience I would have thought. Unless, of course, there's an episode of TLHOTP I didn't see that featured a mad serial killer kidnapping Melissa Gilbert and Michael Landon before killing them, dismembering their bodies and throwing the bits, in binliners, into the river in Walnut Creek as part of some retribution killings for crimes against wholesome entertainment.
I await The Waltons DVD Collection with baited breath. Hopefully issue 1 will come with complimentary John Boy mole to stick on your face.

7 comments:

Hawkfall said...

You know I think I may have seen the opening or closing titles to The Little House on the Prairie maybe 100 times but never watched a single episode. Or if I did, I can't remember the slightest thing about it. This also applies to The Sullivans and Sons & Daughters.

Bright Ambassador said...

LHOTP was about a wholesome frontier family. It was shite. It was based on some autobiographical books by a woman called Laura Ingalls Wilder. The most significant thing I remember about it is that one of the kids went blind and, during the closing credits, when the kids came running towards the camera on a meadow, one of them fell over.

Jon Peake said...

The youngest daughter was played by twins, you know.

I wondered the same as you when I saw this ad.

Needless to say, I'm buying it.

Bright Ambassador said...

If, in the very highly unlikely event that you have trouble getting hold of it, there were dozens of the first issue stacked up in the Newark branch of WH Smith yesterday.

Hawkfall said...

Off topic, but I'm in a bit of a Rush mood at the moment. The last album I bought was Grace Under Pressure - which of the ones after that are worth investigating? Didn't they go a bit AOR in the late 80s?

Bright Ambassador said...

Try 2002's Vapor Trails. Really hardcore Rush fans go on about something in its mixing called 'digital clipping', I don't know what that is (which makes me a shite Rush fan), but it's got some terrific heavy rock songs on it. In fact, I think the opener, One Little Victory, is one of the best songs they've ever done, when played loud.
God, I really hate recommending music, here, have a look at OLV for yourself:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iJM1TXeRYQY
Sound quality on that video's pretty ropey, but you'll get the idea.

By the way, Thumper, I saw this the other day and thought of you:
http://www.saltyrockz.com/index.php?custom=12

Hawkfall said...

Cheers for that, I'll check it out.

That T-Shirt site rocks! NWOBHM and Kate Bush shirts! Hold me back!