Wednesday 21 January 2009

Uke can play too


Look at that bastard. The Red Destroyer. That's what I bought with some of my birthday cash. I know it's not the smartest in the world but it'll do until I learn how to play the thing, then I'll upgrade to something like this beast. I got that one because I thought I'd support local business and got it from a shop in town and that was the only one they had, unless I wanted it in pink or turquoise. The man said I could go for lessons if I wanted but I think that just might have been an excuse to get me alone in a room to touch my bum. I daren't tell him I'd bought a tutor manual and CD off the internet.
The problem is that you tell people you have a ukulele and the following discussion always ensues:

Assorted Tosspots: "What did you get for your birthday?"
Me: after reeling off a list of presents "...and I bought myself a ukulele out of the cash"
AT: "Wo-hoa, you like George Formby then?
Me: "Not really, besides, he played a banjo ukulele..."
AT: (singing) "I'm leaning on a lampost at the corner of the street...."
Me: "...mine's a guitar ukulele..."
AT: (in George Formby voice) "He-hee, turned out nice again..."
Me: "No, no, it's not a banjo ukulele"
AT: (singing again) "...when I'm cleaning winderz..."
Me: "It's. Not. A. Fucking. Banjo. Ukulele!"
AT: "All right, calm down, Jesus, I never even go the gag in about Little sticks of Blackpool rock"
Me: "Piss off"

So, as you can see, having a ukulele isn't easy, it's tossers at every twitch and turn.
Mind you, if it's good in enough for Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot, it's good enough for me. Who knows, one day I may be good enough to join this excellent set up, and perform this little heartbreaker at The Albert Hall.

In other news, I notice that yesterday was 'the most historic day in the world ever'. That is the most historic day in the world ever since he got elected last November. The thing is, what if Obama's rubbish? How many disappointed people in the world are there going to be? It seems like a lifetime ago now that we had our own massive disappointment. Anyone remember May 1st 1997?
I was talking to my gig-going chum about the inauguration last night, he told me that security was so tight that "they've had to call in the Home Guard". I can just imagine a portly old gentleman asking to be excused because he needed the toilet and could he not have to stand for so long because his gout was playing up. Gig-going chum's that daft that when I told him I had a uke, he thought it was the hot new Xbox game. "Oh, I thought it was like Guitar Hero but for ukuleles" he droned. Yeah, Ukulele Hero, you numpty. Mind you, I'd buy it...

The most historic thing for me yesterday was that Derby County got knocked out of the Carling Cup. How unfortunate for them that they're going to get knocked out of two cup competitions in the same week.
Oh, and I dropped off to sleep at work yesterday. I just thought I'd close my eyes for a few moments. Next thing it's five minutes later. That's the power of Steve Wright in the Afternoon for you playing shedloads of patriotic American music. If I'd been caught I think I'd have been in rather a lot of bother. They should give me more to do, shouldn't they?

7 comments:

Matthew Rudd said...

Good luck against the Rams this weekend, hope we draw each other in the fifth!

You've educated me on one thing - I always thought ukulele was spelt ukelele, not ukulele. Frank Skinner also spells it correctly in his book, the one you don't like.

Bright Ambassador said...

That's because it gets shortened to 'uke', hence the confusion. Considering Christopher Graham Collins has the services of an editor it should be hoped he gets ALL his spellings right. Have you finished it yet?

Matthew Rudd said...

Yes I have. I think I enjoyed it more than you. He does come across as remarkably self-important, but the man is a very good storyteller and extremely funny.

Mondo said...

I bought mine a year ago - exactly same model, but in yellow.. then a Tenor as there's more finger space.

Don't play it as much now though - dig around on the net, as there's a plenty of decent songs transcribed for Uke, so you don't have to do Yellow Rose Of Texas over and over..

Bright Ambassador said...

Matt - fair point

PM - I wonder if there are any Rush transcriptions? I can just imagine doing their ten minute prog metal epic Cygnus X-1 on the uke.

Jon Peake said...

I like it that Harry Hill regularly plays the uke with Tom Courtenay. I can't play a thing, but I'm looking forward to your concert at which you play Rush songs in a ukelele style.

Louis Barfe said...

I love my uke. If I'm feeling a little bit miserable, I can get it down from the shelf and have a strum. Good purchase, BA.