Monday 19 January 2009

Here is the news


Have you seen the news recently? I mean have you seen the news recently? What's happened to it? It's turned into The Day Today. I say this because I watched last night's 10 O'Clock news on BBC1 with my jaw on the floor. This style of news presenting must have slowly crept up on me and last night tapped me on the shoulder, or I've been watching the news like a cabbage for the past few years (I'd go for the latter if I were you).
For a start, I said a few months ago that Robert Peston looked like David Tennant. Well it would seem that he wants some acting work too. He was on last night banging on about the government giving banks loads more of our cash, and he was completely over the top all the way through, like someone desperately trying to impress a casting director. He loves dishing out not very good news, in fact, I reckon it gives him an erection.
Then we moved onto the not very exciting news that Ken Clarke's moving to the Tory front bench (well, not very exciting when you consider that it's been on the cards for weeks. But very exciting if, like me, you're a Ken Clarke fan, email me for details). This warranted that slaphead Nick Robinson to talk to the studio live from Millbank Tower? Why? a)I thought Millbank was Labour's head office b) why did he need to go there to do his bit to studio and c)was there any need for a chat to studio?
So I propose some changes to TV news:


  • Stop all rolling 24 hour news channels. They're not needed and they're all about padding. Who watches them anyway? If people need to see the news headlines then use Ceefax.

  • Go back to one newsreader to sit behind a desk reading the news with a few filmed reports where necessary.

  • Stop Robert Peston.

  • Put Susanna Reid on the 10 O'Clock news because she makes me go all funny. And she has a twinkle in her eye that lets us know that she's thinking what we're thinking.

  • Stop over complicating it. I once heard a journalist talking, can't remember who it was, but he said that when at journalism training school they teach you how to do a 'breaking' news report in six words. eg "Goole: Train crash. Many feared dead." That'll do. Why worry us with the details?

Those bastards should put me in charge.


Oh, and while on the subject of last night's news, they showed Springsteen and a gospel choir playing at some party at the Washington monument. It was supposed to be a celebration. Not with that worthy bastard there it wasn't. If I was Obama I'd be asking where The Temptations were with their matching suits, co-ordinated dance routines and cracking Motown numbers. And to top it all I'd have had a huge party cake wheeled on with Tina Turner jumping out in a tiny frock singing Proud Mary or Nutbush City Limits with an all-star band, including the now obigatory Jimmy Page and Ringo Starr, backing her. Now that's a party. Not "Mary got pregnant and I couldn't find a job so we lived in a trailer yada yada yada".



By the way, I was in The National Gallery yesterday. Yeah, get me. If you've never been before, pop along, it's ace. It's like a Greatest Hits of painting. It's free to get in and you could quite easily spend a day in there if you wanted. It's got all the hits: The Sunflowers! Water Lilies! The Fighting Temeraire! The Virgin and Child with Saint Anne and Saint John the Baptist! Anyway, I don't pretend to be any kind of great art expert - although I love galleries - but there does come a time in every trip to a gallery where I start stroking my chin. I love the way you can get right up to paintings and look at the brushstrokes and know that Da Vinci or Van Gogh had been standing in front of that canvas too. I was just about to enter chin-stroking mode while looking at the detail on a boy's hat in Seurat's Bathers at Asnières, when I became aware of a woman's presence at the side of me. I was just lost in the detail when she shouted "Will you please stop picking your nose!" I thought she was talking to me and immediately put my hands in my pockets. Turns out she had a small child on the other side. Took me right out of chin-stroking mode, that did. Thank God.


The good thing about London is that it's good for celebrity-spotting. I'm thinking of ringing the 3 AM girls Spotted! section in the Mirror. But I'll share it with you: Spotted! Buzzcocks' host Simon Amstell walking in the front door of the National Theatre. Spotted! Bradley Walsh in the audience for Oliver! Okay, neither are that impressive but when I told my mother about Amstell she said "You should have told him to stop being so bloody cheeky."

9 comments:

Mondo said...

The news has gone all 'Hello', ever since they got themselves in twist over one presenter 'Standing Up'.

The National Portrait just round the corner from the National is well worth a peep if you're ever that way again, Denmark St just up Charing Cross is worth a wander too - loads of guitar shops and Rock history - I bumped into Noel Gallagher coming out of one of the guitar shops. He'd just bought himself a Macca style Hofner bass for Christmas...

Worth grabbing one of these style books if you fancy doing your own R.O.C.K walkabout in London, as tons of famous locations are just a few hundred yards apart

Bright Ambassador said...

Gallagher's been ripping off the Beatles for years so a Macca bass doesn't surprise me in the least.

Louis Barfe said...

Labour hasn't been in Millbank Tower (or the Vickers Tower as I still call it) for years. I suspect that Nick Robinson was chuntering from the BBC's parliamentary studios on Millbank.

Sky Clearbrook said...

Peston puts me more in mind of Alex Kapranos out of the mighty Franz Ferdinand.

It's the cut away to Nick Robinson standing outside 10 Downing Street (or some goverment building or other) for no reason whatsoever at about 10.07pm that gets me. There's no point to his even being there. The story happened hours ago and everyone's fucked off.

And what's with these "reports within live links"? The news reader "goes over" live to the correspondent who (after a short bit of spiel), proceeds to introduce their own report. Can't the newsreader do that, just like they used to in "the olden days"? It'd save a bit on fees and "satellite time", wouldn't it?

Jon Peake said...

If they want to cut costs they could do worse than cut out the fatuous live links. Everytime anything happens someone's 'live', usually it's dark and there's nothing to see. It's a farce and pointless and it makes really angry.

The Cat said...

Peston has grabbed his opportunity because one of the other up-and-coming reporters, whose name rather annoyingly escapes me, was elsewhere in the world covering something else.

Rolling news is a nightmare. The Good Lady Wife can sit through it for hours but it justs makes me angry. Not as angry as any Scottish news bulletin but pretty irate.

Bright Ambassador said...

It's good to know you're not alone, isn't it?
Yet again I bow down to Mr Barfe's superior knowledge.

Can I add that I'd like to see the end of scrolling ticker tapes? I notice, from watching telly at work last week, that GMTV have just introduced one (probably to take your mind off the rest of the show's content and presenters). And, if you've ever seen Sky Sports News, they have about eight things to look at all at the same time.

Louis Barfe said...

I'm not remotely proud that I know all this shit, BA, I just do. But yes, a pox on pointless live link-ups. Oh well done, you're standing outside a nondescript office block, which is empty because everyone who works there is at home watching you, standing outside it in the freezing cold, and laughing. The other thing that grinds my gears is the conversation that sometimes occurs between the newsreader and a journalist "speaking to us from the newsroom". Why can't they just pop next door and speak to you in the effing studio?

Bright Ambassador said...

The BBC's East Midlands Today used to be massively into that 'let's go to the newsroom' stuff. I think they did it to prove to the licence-fee-paying public that there were actually people working, as there were always loads of staff hunkered over PC screens and one person striding puposefully across the room holding a late-breaking story about a youth centre in Loughborough being vandalised. Or something...