Monday 12 January 2009

A journey through time and space


So The Mighty Boosh then. It kind of worked in an arena because they're sort of rock 'n' roll. I must say that this new live show wasn't as good as the first one. As TMB has took off then obviously their audience has expanded massively and, to keep the rock thing going, it was more of a greatest hits set.
People go on about how they're the new Monty Python, what with the mix of the surreal, songs and animation, but after Saturday night comparisons to Morecambe and Wise struck me. Let me explain: they're obviously a traditional double act - one's 'with it' and plays to the crowd while the other gets exasperated by his shenanigans; there's a reliance on the comedic effect of a big pair of comedy curtains; part two featured the straight man desperate to stage a serious play. See? It all adds up.
What I love the most about TMB is the homemade aesthetic of the whole thing. Some of it bordering on being a bit rubbish and we're in on the joke.
I also loved the dressing up by audience members, one woman going as a naan bread. Genius.
An animation at the end was pretty groovy too, it was a stop/go job made from Smarties and Licorice Allsorts.
What I didn't love about Saturday was there was far too much Rich 'look at me!' Fulcher, and nowhere near enough Naboo and Bollo.
What I also learned is that going to comedy on your own is useless. Thing is, I don't know anyone else who 'gets' TMB. Philistines.

And there was a guy sitting behind me who, during the pre-concert build-up and interval let the biggest stream of bullshit loose from his gob. He never paused for breath. Why is it that the people with the least to say have the loudest voices?
eg "Yeah, I think I'm just gonna go to university and get some really random degree...my mate's wife's gonna get us tickets for ManU/Inter, she knows I'm a real hardcore ManU fan if she can't get those she's gonna get ManU/Portsmouth she's also trying to get tickets for Derby/Forest in the FA Cup there'll be fighting...yeah, that woman down there could do with losing some weight off her fat arse"
Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! I don't know if he realised this, but he was saying all that out loud. Wanker. I hope he doesn't get tickets for those football matches because he sounds like the worst kind of nu-fan. And if he does get tickets for Derby/Forest in the FA Cup, and, in the very unlikely event that there is fighting, I hope a Derby fan kicks his fucking head in.

Peace.

No comments: