Friday 12 September 2008

I'm the twinkle in her eye, I'm Jeff Goldblum in The Fly


I put The Divine Comedy's Best Of album on my iPod last weekend, and it got me to thinking that Neil Hannon is a fantastic songwriter. What's happened to him? He seems to have completely fallen off the radar. I always got the impression he was born at the wrong time and should have been swapping witticisms with Noel Coward in the 30s and 40s.

He also wrote the greatest song never to be entered into Eurovision.

Anyway, in the spirit of Lazy You Tube Embedding, here's my selected highlights from Hannon's, er, canon. Have it as a weekend treat on me, I'm sure you all deserve it after a shite week at work, right?

We all settled in? Right, we can begin.





Galloping along at a fair old lick...





Simply brilliant





Empathy corner...



4 comments:

Valentine Suicide said...

Something for the weekend?

My own favourite, Lost Property, is missing from the 'best of'.

Hawkfall said...

I agree with VS, Something for the Weekend has to be there. Oh come on, you know you want to ..

Clair said...

Ta muchly for that. So cheery, so moving and so clever. And you don't get too much of that these days, do you? Most of my conversations these days are about how smarts have no place in the music business any more and how sad that makes me.

Bright Ambassador said...

I thought Something for the Weekend and National Express were perhaps a little obvious.