Wednesday 31 March 2010

The DMS


This post was going to be a complete slagging of The Delicious Miss Dahl, which I watched for the first time last night. I gather the poor lass has got a big enough kicking for it as it is (look what happens when you let Jamie Oliver run his own production company), so I'll just leave you with a few random thoughts:


  • Ruined rhubarb by putting it in Eton Mess
  • Shepherd's pie made with those awful puy lentils?
  • Poetry readings?
  • Incredibly stodgy-looking blinis
  • I hate smoked salmon so she wouldn't be dishing that up to me in the hope it would bring me onside
  • Notice she didn't cook on the immaculate Aga - that's because everything would take days to cook and she's only got half an hour
  • Dicking around in a second hand bookshop
  • Dicking around in a railway station
  • I still would though - and look at who she married, there's clearly no accounting for taste

Anyway, I heard this song on the radio today. I remember it getting loads of play in our house when we were kids because Mum had it on a country compilation album called, you guessed it, Country Life. I reckon she loved it because she knew all the words. Hearing it today, for the first time in years, made me realise that it's clearly about al fresco shagging. I hope she didn't love it so much because it brought back happy memories of her callow youth. Still, it's a great song.


3 comments:

Kolley Kibber said...

That song shocked me when it came out. Not because it was a hymn to dogging, but because she was...EEEUUGGHHH....the wrong side of 35, which might have meant that even my PARENTS still....BLEEEUGGHHH....

Bright Ambassador said...

Ha-ha! That's exactly one of the things I'm driving at. And the thought that in her youth Mum might have gone on a picnic by the Trent and, you know, done 'it', in the open, as brazen as you please. In my mind Mum is NEVER young. Well, apart from the time when Mum asked me to go in a drawer upstairs just after Dad died and find something because she couldn't face it - I found their old love letters. I know it's INCREDIBLY WRONG, but I read them, and they were rather sweet. Especially as Mum had a nickname for Dad which was SO late 1957.

Clair said...

Which was...?