Monday 29 March 2010

'Lusty'



I've just received this newsletter from Airfix (yeah, I get Airfix newsletters, what are you going to do about it?) on their latest kit: "HMS Illustrious is an impressive 209m long, with a beam of 36m and a displacement of 22,000 tonnes. She has 1400 compartments and 15 lifts, and is powered by four Gas Turbine Olympus engines (a marinised version of Concorde's), giving her a top speed in excess of 30 knots. When fully operational she has a full complement of over 1000 people, and can operate with a range of both rotary and fixed wing aircraft from the Harrier GR9 to troop- carrying Chinooks. This collection comes with extra unique information supplied exclusively by the Royal Navy. (This Gift set includes paints, brushes and glue)"

That's a bloody big model kit, isn't it? It sounds like 1:1 scale to me. How will I get it on my kitchen table to construct it? Or will I need to make it in sections to be put together outside? I don't have a slipway handy either.

6 comments:

Jon Peake said...

When you've built we can all go on a voyage of discovery together.

Clair said...

What IS the biggest Airfix kit they do? We should buy it between us and come up to yours and make it, high on glue.

Louis Barfe said...

"Tomkinson, full-size does not qualify as a scale model. Dismantle it immediately."

Bright Ambassador said...

FC - Yeah, then we can take off in our Harriers and go native on some Commie ass. Or something.

Clair - Please do. The biggest are 1:24, Stukas, Mosquitos etc. I always think they should do a 1:24 of a Saturn V rocket, that'd be massive. And doesn't sniffing glue seem rather quaint these days, what with this 'mioaw mioaw' or whatever it's called. Who discovered you could get high on Tomorite?

Louis - I'd forgotten about that. In future you will address me as 'School Bully', if you don't I'll be forced to put you in the school hopping team. Any attempt at escape while on a hop will result in the school leopard being sent to find you.

Hawkfall said...

I haven't made an Airfix kit since I was little, but recently I've found myself picking up magazines like Aeroplane and Aircraft for the article and pictures of 2nd World War aircraft. I think it's the sort of thing a gentleman should be interested in. A man should know his Spitfire from his Hurricane.

Bright Ambassador said...

Well, as a rule of thumb for anyone who doesn't know the difference, when viewed from the ground, the Spitfire has an eliptical wing.

I've got an Airfix Battle of Britain Memorial Flight set waiting to be constructed complete with its own display stand.

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/aircraft/military-aircraft/19301950/a10600-battle-of-britain-memorial-flight-a10600/