Friday 24 October 2008

Number Six


I've been tagged by Mr Avenues and Alleyways to do this writing six random things about yourself thingy. I'm not tagging anyone else because I don't know six other bloggers well enough, and I can't be arsed. Anyway, here goes:


  1. I once saw Motorhead's Philthy Animal Taylor walking around the town in Newark of a weekday lunchtime. I knew it was definitely him because he's fairly unmistakable, right? It was during his second stint in the band in the very early 90s. As I was too shy to approach him, it was like a scene out of a cartoon, he'd stop to look in a shop window, so I'd stop twenty yards behind him to look in another shop. I often wondered what he was doing in Newark of a weekday lunchtime. I later found out that he's from Chesterfield, and while that's not exactly round the corner, it's close enough for him to feasibly have family in the town.

  2. I didn't realise how bad my baldness was getting until I saw a reflection of the back of my head in some restaurant toilets last weekend.

  3. I've never seen any Star Wars, Godfather, Sylvester Stallone or Lord of the Rings film. Nor do I have the desire to.

  4. I once went on a protest over the visit of General Jaruzelski of Poland to Newark, when he was still the Communist leader of the country. Well, when I say protest, I mean I went and stood with some protesters outside Newark cemetery gates - which was across the road from my house - in the hope of getting on the Six O'Clock News. I didn't get on the news but the report did, I was stood behind the camera during the melee as his motorcade passed us on the way to the Polish war graves (and, more importantly, the grave of General Sikorsky, leader of the free Poles during WWII) in the cemetery. I read in the paper the other week that he's currently under trial in Poland for imposing martial law in 1981. Our house got on telly though.

  5. I've been a best man twice. I haven't spoken to the first guy I was best man for in about five years. I haven't spoken to the second guy I was best man for in the last twelve months. I know this because it was his birthday recently and the last time I spoke to him was on his birthday last year. Kind of sad really...

  6. The first CD I ever played on my first ever CD player was the Pet Shop Boys' Introspective on my 18th birthday. The second was Marillion's The Thieving Magpie. See, I've always had a weird taste in music. I think I played the PSBs first because Left to My Own Devices probably demonstrated the superior sound quality of the source material better (it had strings on it). Or something equally as wanky.

7 comments:

Sky Clearbrook said...

I haven't seen any Godfather, Star Wars or LOTR films either. I'd add Harry Potter to that list too.

I had quite a few CD singles before I actually had a CD player (those pesky record companies spreading mixes and tracks over different formats to increase sales and me "having" to buy them all!). When I got my first CD player at the end of 1989, the first disc I played was The Mission's Tower Of Strength CD single, which I had owned since about March or April, 1988.

Bright Ambassador said...

I've had the misfortune to have seen the first two HP films. Ugh!

Matthew Rudd said...

Just shave the lot off. You know it's the right thing to do.

daphne said...

I protest the entire Harry Potter franchise.

Didn't know you were bald. Hmm.

Bright Ambassador said...

I suppose it depends on how you define the word 'bald'.

I was thinking of going for the full Bobby Charlton. Google it.

Unknown said...

Why do you always make me use the internets to find things. You know that I hate the www.

Bright Ambassador said...

Well, to cut a long story short, Bobby Charlton is a liar. He's trying to make people believe he has hair. He fools no one.