Tuesday 21 October 2008

Celebrity lookalikes no.3

Knocked-up-in-an-afternoon, friend of Dum Dum, Hanna Barbera kiddies' post-school favourite, Touche Turtle.





Peace sign-waving, autograph shy, second least talented member of The Beatles, Ringo Starr.


I know this Ringo Starr business is last week's news, but I've never understood the fascination for autographs. What is the attraction? Is it because someone who does a job you like has actually held something in their hands and scribbled on it with a piece of paper? I dunno...
I'd rather shake someone's hand and tell them how much I like what they do. I think they'd appreciate that a lot more. I don't have anything autographed, apart from the Alex James book, which I picked up from one of those table displays in an Edinburgh bookshop with the intention of using it to read on the bog (I'm not even much of a Blur fan, I'd read any old crap about popular music. And it was on offer.). I didn't know it was signed until I got it home, and I certainly wouldn't have paid more for it just because he'd sat and signed a huge pile of them at the end of an in-store. I once read where Rowan Atkinson told autograph hunters to 'fuck off', which sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Fortunately for my mother though, he didn't tell her to 'fuck off' when she asked him about five years ago.

I'd tell this rancid old hag to 'fuck off' though if I'd just paid over £100 for the 'pleasure' of attending one of her enormodome concerts and she picked me out like that. It's not that bloke's fault her husband's sodded off, is it? And why does she use the 'f' word as punctuation? The more you use it, the less impact it has.


8 comments:

Hawkfall said...

I always thought that Touche Turtle could have been a distant relative of Lester Piggott.

Mondo said...

Could I add to celeb lookalikes

Justin Lee Collins and Dennis Wilson

And Hank Marvin has always reminded me of Kermit from The Muppets and then there's Help! Help here comes Phil Spector

Bright Ambassador said...

What happened in that Phil Spector trial? Was there ever a verdict? I can't even remember what it was for now...

Valentine Suicide said...

Gawd, I couldn't get through all of that Madonna clip.

Who is the ACTUAL least talented Beatle?

I was reading somewhere recently that when George Harrison was requested to autograph something, he asked "Do you want me to do the others?", which I thought was class.

Bright Ambassador said...

Going to a Madonna concert must be like being shouted at by some kind of sadistic school teacher. Never mind, I got my Metallica ticket today, so I don't care!

The least talented Beatle? Lennon. I know he's supposed to be one of the talented ones but this God-like worshipping of him gets on my wick. That's not his fault I suppose, but I think that even when he was alive he was full of his own self-importance. I watched All You Need is Love on More4 last week, it was about Beatlemania, and even interviewed in 1978 he couldn't resist a dig at McCartney.

That was Mark Ellen who had his Beatles LPs 'signed' by all of the Fab Four courtesy of Mr Harrison. George Harrison, now there was a nice man.

Mondo said...

Have you heard this Harrison tune Sour Milk Sea

it's 75% Beatles...

written and produced by George
Macca on bass
Bongo on drums
and guests including Clapton, Billy Preston and Nicky Hopkins - but totally tanked.

Concert For George is well worth a peep too

Sky Clearbrook said...

Tagged. Och aye the noo.

Bright Ambassador said...

PM - I've seen Joe Brown's marvellous Performance of I'll See You in My Dreams at Concert for George. Even I get 'something in my eye' during that. Apparently Brown and Harrison used to sing it together at George's home.