Friday 17 October 2008

Leicester squares


Look at that picture. That's right, it clearly shows a wedge of lime in a pint of Coke. What sort of madness of poncification is that? I went to the De Montfort Hall in Leicester last night for the first time since I saw The Wonder Stuff there in 1989 and look what's happened. I blame the 6Music Brigade with their fancy Dan ways to be honest. Lime in Coke, whatever next......?

Anyway, the gig? Superb thanks. Elbow really are tremendous and I urge any lovers of quality music to catch them, very uplifting. I'm so, so jealous of anyone who can express themselves artistically, unfortunately I can't.

Best moment of the night? Elbow frontman Guy Garvey telling a woman in the crowd called Karen that the guy she was with called Paul had something to ask her in the next song. After the song we learned that Karen had said 'yes', hurrah! Things came back to Earth with a bump when Garvey told them that 'we won't be playing the wedding.....but to celebrate the engagement, here's a song about blinding heartache.'

Two things I've never seen at rock show too: 1) a lady roadie and 2) a cellist desperately trying to do a big rock 'n' roll finish. Top drawer. And can people please stop talking all the way through gigs please. I turned to my gig-going chum once at the end of a song to say 'Fuck yeah'. That's all that's required, thank you.


And I'd forgotten how much I love, and I mean love Newborn. Beautiful.

2 comments:

Valentine Suicide said...

Marvellous indeed. For Newborn, as Guy was tuning his acoustic, some wag in the audience recognised the tone and started singing it. It threw Garvey right off his stride, so he had trouble starting. In the end he just let the crowd kick it off and he joined in later. He's got a lovely genial way about him...

Personally, I loved the the 'Station Approach' and 'Scattered Black and Whites' finale.

You should try again with a guitar. Once it's tuned, its quite easy to learn four of five open chords and just strum away.

Nice cocktail, also.

Bright Ambassador said...

"Once it's tuned"
I even have trouble with that bit. I once read something by Sean Hughes where he said that it's probably for the best he didn't learn guitar becasue he can enjoy records for what they are. Whereas if he'd learned to play it he'd just listen to records and think 'Hmmm, nice diminished eighth. How did he do that?'. Which is kind of how I think.