Tuesday 30 November 2010

Bostin

I went to see Wilko Johnson the other week. He had this support act on (rather good actually, bluesy rock 'n' roll and the bassist looked like Plug off of The Bash Street Kids and they manged to reference both Pendolino trains and the NEC into their lyrics), trouble is they didn't announce what they were called when they walked on stage. So, as they said a few perfunctory 'hellos' and asked if we were 'ready' I noticed a bit of an accent. 'Hello' I thought 'these chaps sound like they come from the West Midlands.' Now you have to be careful here because you'd logically assume that they're from Birmingham but there's no generic West Midlands accent, apparently. But I took the view that they were from Birmingham, so as they didn't give their name at the start of the gig in my head they were called Some Brummies. I think that's rather a good name, certainly better than their proper moniker, People's Republic of Mercia. Which got me to thinking of a name for the prog-metal-punk-psych-folk-new wave-electronica band I'd like to start and be the drummer of . Here's a few names I've been toying with :

  • Dollop
  • Trains That Won Wars
  • English Electric Lightning
  • Vitamin Q
  • The Fighter Pilots
  • The Biscuit Factory
  • Hogarth Flyover
  • Chocky's Children
  • The Vulcanologists
  • Blame Canada
  • Tobes of Hades
  • Das Boot
  • Anywhere But Here
  • Boffin's Island
  • The Catering Front
  • Two Day Hot Tub Event
  • Shoplifting Shame
  • Get to Falkirk!
  • Bazookas
  • Check the Chips
  • Real Life Spy Thriller
  • Potty Time
  • Psychic Octopus
Any got legs?

4 comments:

Simon said...

I'd happily sit most of those on my CD shelves.

Clair said...

http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/weirdbandnames/

Rob The Builder. said...

Did you get the piccy from 'Britain's most changed views'. The Rotunda is still intact ( resurrected as apartments ) but the rest - Bullring shopping centre, highways et al - have all been replaced in recent years.

Anonymous said...

Dollop, or even Daft Dollop, which is what I call the horse in his denser moments.