Friday 4 February 2011

Kwitter

Hello. What you've just witnessed was me taking a break from blogs for the month of January. Not only did I take a break from blogs, I also took a break from social networking sites. Oh yes. And I feel much better for it too. I knew that something had to give when I my drumming tutor told me I was becoming obsessed with Facebook. He could tell I was becoming obsessed because I was checking Facebook on my phone in the middle of a drumming lesson.
So come January 1st I deactivated my Facebook account and did the same with Twitter. The trouble with Twitter is that you can't deactivate your account without deleting it. So I did. I have to say that I don't miss it. Twitter is something that I don't feel I've ever really come to grips with. It's okay for finding out about stuff, but it's pretty unokay if you're not particularly interested in X Factor or Question Time as your Thursday and Saturday night Twitter feed will be clogged up with people quacking on about both. I believe this is called, ugh, 'sofalising'. I'd call it 'a bag of wank.' I can't pay attention to TV shows and use my mobile internet device at the same time. Sorry. So I am no longer a Twitterer, which probably comes as a great relief to people who followed me.
As for Facebook, I bumped into a friend at Forest three weeks ago who asked me why I wasn't updating my Facebook profile any more. I told him it was because I was having a break from it. He replied "To be honest, you were getting on my tits a bit." Which I took as meaning that he thought I was a little verbose and gobby. I liked his honesty, it's made me look at how I handle myself on Facebook. Although that friend has now been deleted from my Facebook friends. There's being honest and there's being a honest. If he don't like it, he can fuck himself*, just because he writes about Forest for The Observer....

I have to say it's all been rather freeing. I've watched films, listened to LPs, practised a lot more on the drums and got through tons of stuff on my TV hard drive. You should try it, and I'll definitely do it again.

Anyway, as for the blog I've decided not to blog as much and change what I blog about. I mean who wants to read another bloody blog about the queue at the bank or supermarkets or the neighbours? I don't, especially when others do it so much better than me. I also won't be blogging as much as instead of working for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I now work 10 hours a day 4 days a week so I won't have so much time.

But have this, it's great. I wonder what they'd have been like if they hadn't spent the mid to late 70s traipsing around the stadiums of America as Aerosmith's support act but doing more stuff like this:



*Not really, yeah I've deleted him but he's still a sound lad.

13 comments:

John Medd said...

You know what I think? You should do more Slade blogs. Welcome back.

Word Verification: slayed (would that it were, would that it were)

Bright Ambassador said...

That was quick!

Do you know, I was thinking of doing a post about the Slade in Flame and Stardust but Five Centres beat me to it.

Matthew Rudd said...

See chameleon, lying there in the sun. And welcome back, incidentally. I knew you'd sack off Twitter before long but the Facebook absence was more worrying.

And you're 40 now too, let's be truthful.

Bright Ambassador said...

Yeah, thanks for reminding me and letting every other bugger know, Matthew.
'Worrying'? Don't worry about me, Matt. Forest are riding high and I'm going to see Rush in three months' time. So, happy days!

Matthew Rudd said...

I try to help in any way I can, as you can see.

5th March will be a laugh. Already booked the train to Nottingham.

Valentine Suicide said...

I wouldn't say you were getting 'verbose and gobby' on FB, but it was 'This is Shit' four times a day, which gets a bit wearing.

I sacked Twitter after a month. I think it's a tool for talking at people not with them. FB encourages more collaboration, and is more intimate and fun, if such a thing can be said of social networking sites.

I've given up the blog, and closed FB down so that only a few people can see stuff.

It IS good to have you back though, you mardy git.

Hawkfall said...

Welcome back. Actually, I feel pretty much exactly the same about Twitter as you do. I've kept the account, but I just use it to keep track about a few things I'm interested in. And I never got the point of all those "Simon you have to be joking!" tweets from folk when X Factor was on.

Hmm, we seem to be very similar: you don't like bands like Black Sabbath and Rush and support a football team whose European glory days were in the ever receding past, do you?

Bright Ambassador said...

VS - Twitter feels like you're talking to yourself in a packed, noisy pub where everyone's trying to outdo each other. It doesn't offer much in the way of interaction.
As for 'this is shit', you should speak to my boss. He claims I think everything 'is shit'. But when he insists on listening to Radio 1, what does he expect? I know what you mean though.

Thumps - Both our teams won that cup when you actually had to be champions to win it...not just finish fourth. So, we win.
Have you seen Flight 666 yet?

Kolley Kibber said...

Social networking sites are just like heroin, BA. Use them in moderation and you'll have a lovely time.

Welcome back.

Jon Peake said...

Hooray! You're back.

I know what you mean about Twitter. It's still a mystery to me. Unless everyone follows everyone it's very one-sided. Half the hashtags don't mean a thing to me. It's full of terrible show-offs who like the sound of their own tweets, too.

I never social network at home. I only do it to fill spaces at work. I'm not one for sofalising. What a dreadful phrase that is.

Hawkfall said...

Just watched Flight 666 over the weekend, oddly enough. I thought it was really good. It struck me that bands like Iron Maiden and Rush are filling larger venues than they ever have, and they seem to be enjoying themselves as well.

Glad you got your ticket for the Rush tour, the buggers aren't coming south of the alps; the closest concert to me is Frankfurt. Harrumph.

Simon said...

Hello again.

Oh and hey, age is all in the mind (says he who hits 40 himself in under two weeks).

BPP said...

Regardless of doing more stuff like that had they not spent the '70s supporting Aerosmith, I still have my suspicions that the lead singer would have ended up doing guest appearances on Noel's House Party.