Friday 18 February 2011

Take a match to these two



I detest those two fuckwits. In fact I don't just detest them, I hate them. Whoever thought this would make a good idea for an advert has obviously never been inside a music shop. For the uninitiated, music shops are even more of an intimidating place than independent record shops. The minute you walk in the door the bloke behind the counter will say "Ay up, mate, can I help?" (cos he's your mate as he knows that you know how to play something. Or not, in my case). You never walk in and just start picking out a tune on an instrument, unless you're the kind of cretin who goes in just to show off his "chops" on an "axe" he could never afford in a month of Sundays by playing Van Halen's Eruption.
And what's all this "I like old movies" bullshit? He likes old movies like the Godfather Pt. 3. That's hardly an "old movie", is it? The first time I saw it I was expecting him to say "I like old movies, like The Battleship Potemkin". The Godfather Pt.3 was released in 1990, oh yeah, very old. Mind you, to these two pillocks 1990 probably was a long time ago considering she looks like she was born when the Poll Tax riots were going off. And isn't it funny how he's a little bit quirky-looking but not exactly ugly while she's got a face like a doll. How come he doesn't look as though he's the bastard love child of Olive off of On the Buses and Plug off of The Bash Street Kids?
Besides, who actually does that? You know just start picking out a tune like that in the hope that this lass might take a shine to him? I can just imagine my song:
"I like fairly new, ugh, 'movies' like Gregory's Girl and Reservoir Dogs...but that's just me. I listen to Radio Nottingham at the weekends but only for the football. I fart in my sleep. I also have an unhealthy interest in the Cold War and I don't like shaving very much as you can probably tell, but that's just me. Oh, and I don't moisturise but I have got a manbag just to prove I'm not a neanderthal, but that's just me"

And while we're on adverts, how come 'Toilet Duck' is now just called 'Duck'? What happened? Didn't Mr Duck and his germ-fighting, bog-cleanser-squirting aeroplane like being associated with human functions? Flaming spoilsport.
And there's two massive flaws in that new Yellow Pages/JR Hartley ad: there aren't that many record shops left any more. And as if his real name's Day V Lately, when he rang to reserve his copy surely he'd have given his real name like Clive Biscuits or Tom Gusset.

I hate ad men. Apart from those in Mad Men.

12 comments:

Jon Peake said...

I meant to blog about this but you beat me to it. I hate it with a passion.

Hawkfall said...

In Spain, Toilet Duck is called "Pato W.C.". Sorry, just makes me smile.

Valentine Suicide said...

I find it very realistic. It's how I met 'the missus'.

You're so right about music shops. Terrifying place full of 17 year old emo's who can play spectacular guitar solos. I hate sitting down and trying guitars with my below-par thrunking.

Bright Ambassador said...

Thumper - I used to work with a rather excellent fellow, in 'the trade', who would only refer to it as "Shithouse Duck."

Sky - You're ahead of me on the shoe shop one, never seen it. How does it go "I like old shoes, like espadrilles and glittery platform boots, but that's just me"?

VS - I went in to my local music shop the other week for a lead and nearly had a nervous breakdown. Especially as the place is full of this town's muso community quacking on about modern jazz to each other.

Sky Clearbrook said...

I think the shoe shop one might have even preceded this one. You must have seen it - two infantile buffoons manage to tie their shoelaces together and then start some kind of shit dance together. All done in the same style.

Sky Clearbrook said...

Just realised the shoe shop one is actually for matchaffinity.com

Anyway, their pish advert is here.

Kolley Kibber said...

Mmm, I've seen these two goons as well. As sweet as five-year old's sick at a birthday party.

Matthew Rudd said...

The thing I find most unlikeable about the Yellow Pages ad is the rudeness of some of the proprietors.

Also, the whole point of JR Hartley was that he never told the bookshops the author was he - then they would have been far more helpful. Day V Lately should have learned from this.

Lastly, anyone releasing records worth their salt would have had an issue number, publishing details, label, etc. He struggled to remember what year it came out.

Anyway, as someone under the pseudonym JR Hartley then proceeded to write a book about Fly Fishing, you can bet some wag will produce a house record under the name Day V Lately before long.

Bright Ambassador said...

If I'd had a book published or record released I'm damn sure I'd have kept a few copies. And surely if Fly Fishing wasn't that succesful then old JR would have a garage full of remainndered copies?

I wish they'd remake the one where Bill Webster goes "...and look at that saddle, it'll be like sitting on a razorblade."

Simon said...

This is why I only watch commercial TV from recordings so I can zip through the ads.

BPP said...

I agree there should be some way of cutting down on government spending without reducing front line services. It's the '80s all over again!

And speaking of the '80s, fans of the Watch With Mothers podcast will be delighted to hear that they've done something similar called 'Hot Potatoes'. It's available from iTunes, look ...

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-hot-potatoes-podcast/id421766888

Of course, the bloody link doesn't work on here.

Bright Ambassador said...

Thanks for that. Mr Perry, you've just bagsied a subscriber. Can I be on it? I have opinions and stuff.