Friday 11 February 2011

Gladstone Bag

I watched that documentary about Ronald Reagan this week. Hmm, funny fellow. Anyway, this film featured a bloke whose job it was to persuade American states, counties and towns to name something after the 40th prez. That's his job, can you imagine? And he's not the only one, he was the HEAD of the naming people so he must have underlings.
All of which got me thinking: we don't name things after politicians in the UK, do we? Things are named after Royals (okay, I know that they're head of state like the American presidents but unlike American presidents they're technically politicians) or military leaders from 200 years ago.  I think more things must be named after the Duke of Wellington than anything else (and yes, I know Wellington was PM but surely he's more remembered for Waterloo). This is a country where the only things I can think of named after our greatest leader is a tank and a nodding, monosyllabic insurance bulldog. This is a country where airports are named after selfish singers and alcoholic footballists. How is that allowed to happen?
I think it's time we redressed the balance. For instance, how about the Herbert Asquith public toilets? The Alec Douglas-Home amusement arcade? The Clement Atlee fountain? The Neville Chamberlain airport where everyone steps off a plane saying "I hold in my hand a piece of paper..."? The Ramsay MacDonald dogging spot? I'm sure the ladies out there would love to go for an examination at The Edward Heath Centre for Gynaecological Excellence. How about the James Callaghan Memorial School of Economics? The Margaret Thatcher Museum of Mining? The Gordon Brown Charm School?
Us Brits are missing out here.

5 comments:

Simon said...

I'm planning to retire to the Nick Clegg home for the terminally bewildered.

BPP said...

This seems to be a Europe-wide problem. Not once on my recent visit to Germany did I see an Adolf Hitler Memorial Autobahn or a local airport named after Hermann Goering.

It's a national scandal as far as I'm concerned.

Bright Ambassador said...

I'd quite happily borrow a book from the Joseph Goebbels library, BPP. I'm sure he was only joking when he burnt all those books. The cheeky scamp.

John Medd said...

When Liverpool Airport was re-branded John Lennon Airport they asked Ringo for a quote. Quick as a flash he said that when he pegs it they'd probably name a baggage carousel after him.

Kolley Kibber said...

We often enjoy a night out at the Enoch Powell Community Centre.