Wednesday 23 September 2009

In with a bullet at number twelve, it's Petula Clark


I've heard it said before that the Top 25 Most Played on your iPod is a true reflection of your musical taste. Well, here goes, wish me luck....


  1. The Go! Team - My World. Brighton-based hip-hop-rock-dance crossover outfit have a go at long-forgotten kiddies' TV theme music. Rather good.

  2. Focus - House of the King. Dutch prog nutjobs provide theme music for Saxondale. Excellent.

  3. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor. Only decent thing they've ever done.

  4. Hard- Fi - Living for the Weekend. A shining example of one of my 'obsession songs'. Don't think I want to hear it again for a while. Especially with lyrics like "Oh shit, my clothes are all counterfeit."

  5. Sailor - A Glass of Champagne. Look, I like it. Okay?

  6. Amy MacDonald - Mr Rock 'n' Roll. Jesus, how did that get in there? The Argos KT Tunstall, no, hang on, that was Sandi Thom. Okay, the Primark KT Tunstall.

  7. Genesis - ABACAB. I like Genesis, and what are you going to do about it?

  8. Clout - Substitute. Another 'obsession song'. Thing is, the only version of it on iTunes is a re-recording, so it's not even the original with the blokes playing all the instruments.

  9. Lindisfarne - Lady Eleanor. See Monday's post. It's about a "belly-dancing beauty with a power-driven saw".

  10. Tool - Stinkfist. Fuck yeah! The Californian prog-metal miserabelists stock opening gambit at a live show.

  11. The Raconteurs - Salute Your Solution. Haven't heard that in ages. Another 'obsession song'.

  12. Petula Clark - Colour My World. Saw on a DFS ad, liked, downloaded. Tony Hatch in full effect.

  13. Billy Ocean - Love Really Hurts. No wedding's complete without this. Red Light Spells Danger is nearly as good too.

  14. Heart- Barracuda. Inspired to download by Guitar Hero. Zeppelinesque rock workout about music industry creeps. Top.

  15. Wolfmother - Woman. Imagine if Deep Purple were Australian and still capable of making good records.

  16. Bobby Goldsboro - Summer (The First Time). I'm thoroughly fed up of hearing this paen to cherry-popping.

  17. CSS - Let's Make Love and Listen to Death from Above. I loved this a couple of years ago. Funky shagging song by the Brazilian crossover dance act.

  18. Elbow - Newborn. Worth it just for elongated section at the end. Brilliant when played live, especially the way it suddenly stops.

  19. The Killers - When You Were Young. I normally hate The Killers (I've got enough Simple Minds' records without this lot making weak facsimiles), but this is the only song I've ever got 100% on Guitar Hero. Probably because there's not much guitar...

  20. Nick Nicely - Hilly Fields. I blogged about this a while back.

  21. Kirsty MacColl - They Don't Know. I don't need to explain this, surely.

  22. Baccara - Yes, Sir, I Can Boogie. Look, I can explain...

  23. Feeder - Feeling a Moment. I'm not normally keen on these Foo Fighters copyists, but this reminds me of something I'm not going into here.

  24. Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal. Not for listening to in the summer, but just the ticket as the days get shorter and darker.

  25. Half Man Half Biscuit - Trumpton Riots. Elevaaaaaaaaaaate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm an eclectic bastard, aren't I, readers?


I've put You Tube links on to tall those tracks and it took me ages, so you'd better look at some of them. I'll quite understand if there are no takers foe Bobby Goldsboro though.

4 comments:

Mondo said...

That's not a bad fistful. No Rush though? It's odd how disco pops up everywhere..

I selected three genres and blogged the first four tunes that came up a while ago - the disco one seemed to be the most popular..

Jon Peake said...

THat's actually quite a good spread. You should see mine - Soley Soley by Middle of the Road and It's Raining by Darts are in my Top Five.

I like that Pet Clark song, but I prefer Don Partridge doing Colour My World, albeit a different Colour My World.

Bright Ambassador said...

No Rush, no. I'm so familliar with their stuff that I very rarely listen to it these dyas. When I do it'll usually be via one of their DVDs, on You Tube or on one of my homemade compilations at work.
In fact, there's very little of my favourite artists on my iPod, apart from Zeppelin.

The Cat said...

Now that's what I call eclectic!

I used to really hate Petula Clark - her, not her music. Now I love her music and realise how talented she was.

I havne't got an iPod so I can't do the same experiment.