Tuesday 5 May 2009

Mints are meant to be like this - rockard!


I've been suffering from a bit of indigestion lately and thought I'd try and combat it with Extra Strong Mints. Now I'm not one of those "Wagon Wheels aren't as big as they used to be" brigade (they won't be, you've got bigger, you mong), but I'm sure they're nowhere near as hot as they used to be. I've just sucked one and its effects have worn off already. They've got nowhere near the capacity for stuff like this these days. Rubbish. I blame it on Cadbury's, who bought Trebor in the late 80s (they're not even called Trebor ESM mints any more). My own favourite ESM ad was one from the 70s which featured a woman in a launderette going doolally trying to cool her mouth down. Contrary to popular opinion, not everything is on You Tube as I can't find it.

Anyway, talking about stuff that's not as good as it used to be, what do you reckon to the new Reggie Perrin? It can't touch the original, of course, but I quite like it. It's updated enough to be relevant while still retaining the character of the original. I must say that perhaps it's a little more accessible than the original, but it's made me, ugh, 'LOL' a few times, which at the minute is no bad thing. Good effort, and nowhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. Mind you, David Nobbs is co-writing it, so he'll keep up the quality control.

Been listening to this rather a lot just lately courtesy of Mark Radcliffe's Airing Cupboard feature, originally released in 1982. Paul Du Noyer writing for the NME at the time called it "the greatest piece of English psychedelia since Piper at the Gates of Dawn", and you can't argue with that.



3 comments:

office pest said...

The triple XXX mints are a bit stronger and not so sugary and melt-in-your mouth as Trebor, you might like those better.

Mondo said...

Don't remember that tune at all - I always though Extra Strong's were less lively than expected while Tic-Tac's could put the needles in the red..

Remember Cool Mints - lovely sugar free slinky things, but had a laxative effect if too many were eaten apparently

Jon Peake said...

I never thought they were that strong in the first place really. But I do still sing 'Trebor Mints are a minty bit stonger!' every time I have one.

As to Reggie Perrin, I must say I don't think it's all that bad. Not as bad as it could be. Those mongs in the next door office to Reggie could do with being binned off. otherwise I'm quite a fan.