Wednesday 16 September 2009

Deep joy


I've been thinking about Professor Stanley Unwin today, I don't know why, I just have. I can't think about him these days without also being reminded of something a colleague said when the news of Unwin's death was announced on the TV at work: "Thank fuck for that, I could never stand that old c**t." Which I always thought was a terrible thing to say, not only because he was being deeply disrespectful to someone who'd just died, but also because I believe that if Unwin doesn't even raise the briefest of smiles with you then you're a pretty humourless individual (that's not to say I can tell people what's funny and what's not).

Unwin always reminds me of two people who loomed large in my life when I was smaller. They were both childless but have a love of kids and loved to share little songs and stories with us. I reckon a lot of it had to do with the fact that they weren't parents themselves and didn't mind making a tit of themselves if it got a laugh out of a child. My dad, for instance, went to work, came home, had his tea, washed-up and then dropped off to sleep in front of the telly. Every night. That's not to say he was a bad parent, as he quite plainly wasn't, it's just that it was his job to provide for the kids, and be with them at weekends or on holiday.

My dad's brother, Uncle Jim was a man who spent his whole life living with our grandmother. Whenever you went he had a fresh Jane or Andy Capp book for us to look at, could knock out a tune on a concertina and would sing us songs, his favourite being one about snot and bogey pasties, exactly the sort of thing kids love. The one line I can remember went "You can have the black ones, 'cos I like the green ones." Brilliant!
As recently as the mid-70s I remember going to their house and having to use an outside loo. This was always fraught with danger as it was a home to many large spiders. Uncle Jim always came good though because to take your mind off the spiders he's let you take his lantern with a flashing beacon on top to light your way. The excitement of a flashing beacon was too much to bear for this 6 year-old.

The other guy was my mum's butcher. You'd go into his shop on a Saturday morning - trying to avoid the carcasses of dead animals which were dripping blood all over the sawdust-covered floor - and the first thing he'd do would be to shout at his wife to go and fetch the biscuit tin. Biscuits were duly handed out - usually a malted milk or a sport biscuit - then he'd launch into any one of a hundred songs. Particular favourites were There Was and Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, Susannah's a Silly Old Sow and one which told the tale of a woman who took a pig to market and couldn't get it over a stile. She took a stick to the pig to make it go over the stile, but the stick, unbelievably, wouldn't behave itself, so it went "Stick, stick, beat pig to get over the stile/Fire, fire burn stick to beat pig to get over the stile/Water, water, quench fire to burn stick to beat pig to get over the stile" It continued ad nauseum until the exact moment my mum's meat was cut, bagged up and paid for. Perfect timing.

Anyway, enough of my useless and uninteresting childhood reminiscences, here's some classic Unwin. You Tube's disappointingly light on Unwinese, but fact fans, clip one contains an actor who was born on the same street as me. That's right, I was born at home, there'll be a blue plaque on that house one day.











6 comments:

Clair said...

My mum said that when she first saw him, she thought she'd had a stroke.

Jon Peake said...

I have to say, at risk of being accused of being completely humourless (which I really hope i'm not), that I don't find him in the least bit funny.

I don't really recall him as a child, so perhaps if I could, I might feel differently today.

Bright Ambassador said...

That's okay, FC, that's why I put that little waiver in there. It's like saying "If you don't like Vienna by Ultravox then you don't like music", although the opposite is clearly true.
I find people in wigs, people falling over and 'missing cat, little girl distraught, have you seen Marmaduke? Please check sheds/garages/outbuildings' posters funny. That tells you all you need to know about my sense of humour.

Mondo said...

You'll also find him doing the links on the Small Faces 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake' (they were after Derek Guyler - but he asked for too much money)

Try this Rolling Over it's a rocking tune too (kicks in after 1 minute)

Bright Ambassador said...

Do you know I've never heard Ogden's..., much to my shame as I like a bit of Small Faces. I know Happy Days Toytown though. Life is just a bowl of All Bran...

Derek Guyler, eh? I can do a rather good impersonation of him. Would you like to hear it? Okay then *clears throat rather too theatrically* "Oh yes, I was in the war you know, Mr Hedges". Good eh? Just like the dear old boy's in the room.

Mondo said...

I'll give my Derek impression a pop

"now then Sykes"

I'm a huge Small Faces fan, but find Ogdens a bit overblown. the Darlings of Wapping Wharf Launderette comp is a perfect collection and starting point if you haven't dipped in yet.