Monday 21 September 2009

The music grabs me, spins me around and round

I'm becoming obsessed with this bloody song. I bought one of those crappy 80s compilation CDs to play at work and this was on it. I have these little song obsessions every now and again. The other week it was Lindisfarne's Lady Eleanor, a few weeks before that Don Partridge's Rosie. I'll go mad on it for about a week and then forget it, only to be reminded of it again when I play The 25 Most Played playlist on my iPod.
Twilight Cafe reminds me of early Simple Minds (guitars and synths share the limelight with a strong bassline) and it's obviously trading on that whole Echo Beach I've-got-a-shit-job-but-I-go-somewhere-after-work-to-let-my-hair-down-with-like-minded-folk vibe. What a shame she doesn't sound all that happy about it.
My obsession has led me to found out more about Ms Fassbender. Unfortunately she hanged herself in 1991 leaving three daughters. What a sorry end to the tale. She looks so happy on this clip too.


8 comments:

Matthew Rudd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matthew Rudd said...

A karaoke favourite of both F-C and myself - indeed, we once sang it together at the Phoenix to the total bemusement of fellow drinkers.

I've totally loved it for more than 25 years, having first heard it at Christmas 1981 when I was given a K-Tel Chartblasters cassette as a gift.

Jon Peake said...

Yes, as Matt points out, I am a huge fan. I love her follow up single Merry-Go-Round and the one she did with Kay Russell called Stay, but they're not on any CD however I have them on my ipod. Accorind to Wiki she's dead now. I wish they'd release a retrospective.

Like you, I have huge crazes on songs. Last week it was Shocking Blue's Inkpot and this week it's something Australian, and next week it'll be something else. But at least it keeps it fresh.

Bright Ambassador said...

That's Kay Russell playing guitar in that video, she was Fassbender's co-writer.

I wonder why she killed herself? Obviously she was depressed...

Valentine Suicide said...

I remember this quite clearly as well. I have liked it and half loathed it. It still has that effect on me know. It's catchy/irritating.

Valentine Suicide said...

I'll try and leave a comment that makes sense next time.

Jon Peake said...

Did she kill herself? I thought she died from cancer.

Bright Ambassador said...

FC - Yes she did, according to someone who knows Kay Russell on a messageboard and some of the comments left on You Tube.

VS - I know what you mean, some of the lyrics are a little dodgy.