Friday 15 May 2009

Go away you small boys!



There's a lovely piece by Stuart Maconie in the latest edition of Word magazine about Gregory's Girl. I couldn't agree with what he says more. I, like Maconie, also use lines from the film to punctuate real life situations. Just the other day I was speaking to someone at work on the phone and trying to explain how to set a particular piece of equipment. I found myself saying "Then the red light should flash every four elephants". I then had to explain to my hapless colleague what an 'elephant' is. And if you haven't seen the film, and think I meant a pachyderm, think again. Go and watch the film, you won't be disappointed.

If you're a fan of the film, then you can count on me as friend for life. The only person from work who I see on any sort of social level is also a huge GG fan. Just the other week I went up to him in the canteen, nudged him and said "Don't touch the ravioli, it's garbage." In fact, this guy is such a fan of it, he even visited Cumbernauld, where it was filmed, as a sort of pilgrimage. I was insanely jealous, until he told me it was shithole and he couldn't even find the Clock Plaza.

And what man over the age of 35 isn't excited by a film featuring Clare Grogan in a beret. Just go over there and have a little think about that. Clare Grogan. In a beret.

Of course it's biggest strength is that it shows teenagers in a positive light. Not trouble-making, glue-sniffing tearaways. Just good kids who are crippled by every teenager's sense of awkwardness. And if you'd seen me at a school disco, you'll get my drift.

In fact events at our school in the late 70s formed part of the inspiration for the film. A girl had been picked for the football team which caused a minor national outcry. It made it on to John Craven's Newsround and everything.

And, our hero, has Rush posters on his bedroom wall. John Gordon Sinclair is a big Rush fan. In fact it was a Rush patch on someone's bag that encouraged him to carry on attending a Glasgow youth theatre group, he knew there were good people there.

You can't beat these for classic lines:

"Lot of fuss over a bit o' tit, eh?"

"We'll start the driving lessons when you've mastered the walking bit"

"Tits! Bum! Fanny! The lot!"

"Let's go and sweet-talk those two lovelies" - something myself and GG-fan-colleague usually jokingly say on a night out.

"Whoah, whoah, easy on the sugar, lady!"

"Here's 50p, you can buy loadsa chips wi' that"

"Pickled onions and dates don't mix, you might have to do some *mwah* kissing later on"

"That is a brassiere!"





If you're still unconvinced, it's on BBC1 on Sunday night.

9 comments:

Jon Peake said...

I'm a huge fan too. Clare Grogan is still my dream girl.

The music's great too. I'm going home to watch it tonight.

Mondo said...

I've still never seen it. I'll have to put it on my to-view list along with

Apocalypse Now
Psycho
Citizen Kane
Withnail and I

Did you ever see Restless Natives about the motorbike based highland robbers - great film..

Bright Ambassador said...

Seen it!? I've got the soundtrack.

"This is a gun! This is a gun!"

Matthew Rudd said...

It's a fantastic film, of course. But I've never been able to stand Clare Grogan. Dee Hepburn did it for me, especially when she wore a maid's outfit in Crossroads a few years later.

Sky Clearbrook said...

I love Gregory's Girl more than I could possibly say. I've had a post sitting in draft about David Anderson (who plays Gregory's dad) for ages. There was a time in the late 70s to the mid 80s where he would turn up in practically anything Scottish.

That Sinking FeelingRestless Natives

Valentine Suicide said...

I love it too, though not as much 'Local Hero'.

A 'friend' visited the fishing village where that was filmed, and has pictures of himself by the phonebox.

Bright Ambassador said...

Yep, Local Hero and That Sinking Feeling are both great films too.
What a shame that bloody football team have nicked the theme.

"We have an injured rabbit also"

Rob The Builder. said...

Bingo!

I also visited Cumbernauld! I've got a piccy of myself somewhere with the clay soccer pitch used in the soccer scenes behind me. What a craphole the place is.

Can't believe Matthew Rudd preferred Dee Hepburn. Claire Grogan was pinned on my wall until I was 37.

Threw my videos out a couple of years ago ( no player anymore ), but I managed to get a DVD copy as a newspaper freebie recently.

The Cat said...

It is, quite simply, the best film ever made.

I'm always suspicious of anyone who doesn't like "Gregory's Girl". That and taking part in extreme sports.