Monday 8 December 2008

What's...


... that you say, 'what's getting on my wick at the minute'? Well, I'll tell you:


  • Terry Wogan and Aled Jones's Christmas single - Two of my least favourite people singing one of my least favourite songs. Is it the law that all charity singles have to be shite? Can't somebody make a decent one? Apart from Mark Radcliffe's take on Right Said Fred and Alex Lester's My Brother, of course.

  • Iceland adverts - I know this is like shooting fish in a barrel as they feature Katona (a woman who quite clearly needs some professional help) and Nolan, but why does their food always look so deeply unappetising? Prawn Spoons anyone? Thought not. They're seemingly obsessed with prawns.

  • 'Quirky' indie rock bands - Step forward The Wombats, Scouting for Girls, The Hoosiers etc. They're like A Tribe of Toffs for the early twenty first century. The sort of people who say 'Ooh, I'm a bit mad, me'. Go away.

  • Steve Wright's Old Woman - There's so much wrong with the Steve Wright show that I won't go into all of it, but I'll start at Old Woman. Old Woman is one of his ker-azy afternoon posse, a woman who is made to read things out even though she quite clearly has trouble forming her own sentences, let alone reading. Is also paid to laugh like a drain at anything 'Wrighty' says. I once heard that it is actually Wright's mother.

  • Kirsty MacColl and The Pogues - Regular readers will know that both the acts share a place in my heart, but Fairytale of New York gets on my pip. It's the only Christmas song that people who like to think they're still vaguely 'with it' own up to liking. The sort of people who rush out and buy Coldplay albums. From Waitrose. It's okay to like Christmas songs like Greg Lake, Mike Oldfield, Gary Glitter etc.

  • Carol Vorderman - Sick of hearing her drone on about being dropped from Countdown. It must've been terrible for her to hear the news that her pay was being cut to a mere £100,000 pa just for picking a few letters out of a box and doing a quick bit of mental arithmetic. Never mind, she could always get herself one of those debtbuster loans she's been hawking on telly to life's less fortunates. Probably not as nice as she makes out she is.

  • People who say 'a few quick hellos' on the radio - I like listening to Ken Bruce's Popmaster, but everyday you get at least one contestant who likes to say 'a few quick hellos' to 'my lovely wife Joannne - she won't be listening 'cos she's at work but hello anyway - my kids Jordan and Gemma, Dave and all the lads at work - Oi oi! - Mum, Dad, Joanne's mum and dad, everyone at The Cock Inn, the lads on the football team and anyone else who knows me'. I know a lot of people, and I'll tell you this, there's some of them I don't like, so why would I want to say 'hello' to them via the radio? And why do these people think that millions of people up and down the country are interested in hearing a load of random names read out? If they wanted to hear their name on the radio they should have entered Popmaster themselves. In fact, you can almost hear the relief in Ken's voice when a contestant just signs off with a 'goodbye' without 'a few quick hellos'. DJs, please stop people saying 'a few quick hellos'.

  • Graham Norton doing Eurovision - 'Nuff said.

11 comments:

Clair said...

Prawns are bad for the environment, and not just for those who have to go to a party with Kerry Katona -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/2003/jun/19/food.fishing

Can we now call Steve Wright an Old Man? An Old Man whose radio show is stuck in the 80's. Oh please, please can we have Mark Radcliffe and Liza Tarbuck every afternoon?

And I hate those few quick hello's, too - 'and to anyone else who knows me'. Also, people who ask a phone-in host how they are; they're fine and dandy and generally being paid an effing shedload of cash.

David said...

It is terrible shit that Scouting for Girls song about Elvis being Dead - lyrically as banal and empty as Razorlite's America (Oh, oh, oh, America).

Pogues and Kirsty - it's a great song. The reason everyone mentions it as their fave Xmas song is because everyone is scarred to say what needs to be said, which is that the Xmas songs by Slade and Wizzard are SHIT.

(I do love Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus though).

And as for Carol Vorderman.... she was an inspiration for teenage boys in the 80s with her tight leather skirts and tight tops... thanks Carol. When I heard you were leaving Countdown I began to wish teenage boys today could know how you inspired the likes of me way back when.... however, after seing your replacement, I think they just might get that understanding

office pest said...

Just wondering, who would you have doing Eurovision?
I would have Johnny Vegas I think.

Matthew Rudd said...

Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus isn't a Christmas song, of course - just released at Christmas. But I like it too.

BA, I'm with you on everything you list, though I'd still entertain Carol Vorderman, skint or not, given a remote chance...

Mondo said...

Can't stand Steve Wright and that bunch of giggling ninnies - he should been booted out to commercial radio years ago - I'd rather have DLT.

I've never rated'Fairytale of New York' - hopeless. And why does East 17's Stay Another Day always get tagged as a Christmas song - it's got bells at the end and proto-chavs in white ski wear - but that's it.

Get yourself here for some real christmas crackers - a tune a day for free

http://www.punk-christmas.co.uk/

Bright Ambassador said...

Barry Davies ("Could be an interesting song...could be a VERY interesting song!"), Murray Walker or Alan Green ("This is shaping up to be a diabolical entry") for Eurovision.

Valentine Suicide said...

I'm with you on Vorderman. Not remotely sexy or interesting. Just a money grabbing northern...oh I can't be bothered to even type anything about some girl next-door middle of the road daytime tv quiz show hostess just because middle-aged twatbags think she's thinking mans totty. I can't be bothered I tell you!

Jon Peake said...

Obviously I agree with all of this, though I did meet the old woman recently and I thought she was really nice. She's not Steve Wright's mum.

Bright Ambassador said...

Well you can't leave it at that, can you? Who is she? Have you got a DVD of On the Move you could lend her?

Anonymous said...

Steve Wright is sadly a fat bastard who REFUSES to have his photo taken by the beeb.
He insists on one from the 90's for some reason.

He also REFUSES to have a webcam because he is such a fat bastard and now looks a bit.... odd.

Has been.

Bright Ambassador said...

I always wondered about the webcam and just put it down to the fact that most of the interviews are pre-records and, in the pre-lets-be-really-honest days of the BBC, he just didn't want to 'let light in on the magic'.

Just done a quick Google search for a recent photo of him and this is all I can find:
http://flickr.com/photos/54393920@N00/452788223
Yeah, he does look odd.

How unfortunate that he shares his name with a serial killer. Ho ho!
I wonder if he's still married to that American woman...