Saturday 19 June 2010

We're from totally different backgrounds


Five Centres made a point yesterday about the new background to the blog. One of the main criticisms of Blogger is the lack of variety of templates; they seem to have addressed this problem just recently.
I picked this book theme because I suppose I thought it'd make me look more intelligent. Don't be fooled. I've just finished One Day by David Nicholls (which I enjoyed immensely, even though I originally though it was chick-lit. And I ended up falling in love with the main female character, which I also did with Nick Hornby's last), and I'm currently on the Chris Evans book.
I know I should be reading Proust, EM Forster, Steinbeck, Graham Greene and all that, but I enjoy a bit of crap. Who doesn't secretly enjoy a Big Mac every once in a while?
I'd go as far as to say that the publisher with the most books on my shelves isn't Penguin but Ebury Press, publisher of memoirs and travel guides by 'my sort of people'. Hey-ho, Dostoyevsky's going to have to wait. Why read about some bloke being locked up for murder when you can read about Richard Herring facing up to his fortieth birthday? I'm planning on reaching forty, not murdering someone.

3 comments:

John Medd said...

I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it. You like what you like, at the end of the day. All this 'you are what you read' bo***cks is aimed at a demographic which publishers are continually targeting, but, in all probability, doesn't exist. I'm currently packing for my jollies and, as ever, will be taking plenty of reading matter; so the same rules apply i.e. if it works while sitting on a train, propped up in bed or in my favorite chair then it'll work in a beer garden, sitting in a deckchair or perching on a harbour wall. And next week I will be mostly reading: The Taking Of Pelham 123 by John Godey, The Hundred Foot Journey by Richard C Morais, a John Betjeman collection and a Wallinder novel (got two unread, so not sure which one).

Simon said...

Never paid any attention to what people say I "should" be reading, I just go with what I like. So if that means dragons or space opera so be it.

Having said that though, I also seem to be acquiring the entire Ebury catalogue.

Mondo said...

I usually get hooked on music biog's etc..but got lent a (Colin) Bateman book.

Chowed it down in no time - and nothing else seems the same since.