Monday 28 June 2010

A load of rubbish to kill time


Let's get the football out the way: I'm not surprised, England will NEVER win the World Cup again in your lifetime. And as for people predicting the results, how can you? As Danny Baker says "Football is chaos and you can't predict the outcome of chaos." I saw one bloke give his prediction that England would win 2-1 yesterday after extra time. How can you be that certain of a scoreline? Tosser. I predicted England would bottle it, Germany ain't that good.
Anyway, I was in Nottingham on Saturday night, walked passed a Nando's with a sign outside that said "Piri piri - so good they named it twice." I know Nando's is now seen a s a bit of a joke but I've never been in one. Until Saturday night I thought it was a Mexican restaurant until it occurred to me that chicken piri piri is a Portuguese dish. I didn't go to Nando's, my pre-theatre restaurant of choice is Pizza Express. You can have junk food like pizza but because it's at cosy middle class haven that is Pizza Express, it's okay. And why do those sort of upmarket chain restaurants insist on playing jazz? It has to be the most un-relaxing music to listen to, after industrial metal and grindcore, I suppose. I once remember Talk Talk's Mark Hollis saying that music should never be used as background. In Pizza Express's case it's not background music because you've got Charlie Parker parping away in your earhole.
I fully intend to be the last person in the UK never to have eaten at a Nando's. Or Aberdeen Steakhouse. Or Spaghetti House. Or Garfunkel's. Or Bella Pasta. Am I missing out?
I saw about twenty minutes of Glastonbury on Friday night. That really is turning into some corporate rock cash cow now, isn't it? Take that John Peel Stage; it featured bands who I don't think Peel would have liked very much. From what I saw it put on bands who record labels pushed on there to up their profile. I came to Peel only when I started working shifts, his shows mainly consisted of unlistenable garbage but every twenty minutes or so a diamond would get pulled out. I recall one night we were given death metal followed by Sandy Denny followed by George Formby. What I don't recall is the singer off of Bloc Party showcasing tracks from his new solo album.
The drums then. I think I'm getting to the stage where I need to play with other people. So if anyone knows a guitarist and bass player in the Newark area who are looking for a distinctly average-to-poor-but-will-get-better drummer, then drop me a line. No timewasters or raggae musicians please.
Here's my drum tutor showing off. He's the one on the drums, by the way:


4 comments:

John Medd said...

Get you with your pre-theatre restaurant of choice! You weren't a million miles away from The Balti House on Heathcote St: that's my ptroc.
John Peel would be spinning, I'm sure. But that's a blog for another time. Good luck with the tub thumping.

Jon Peake said...

I rubbished Nando's for years, sneering at it's inate chaviness. But I was wrong. The food's great. Proper hot sauces and interesting sandwiches. It's not cordon bleu, but it'll do.

Bright Ambassador said...

John - I have a blind spot when it comes to curries as I need a friend to guide me in a curry house. Otherwise I'd be ordering a foot-high stack of poppadums, fifteen naans and enough rice to sink the Ark Royal. Anyway, I got laughed at the last time I went for a curry (the one opposite the Trent Bridge Inn, West Bridgford - The Bombay Brasserie?) because, ever thrifty me, thought it'd be a good idea to order biryani as the rice was included in the price.
What's that one like round the back of the Royal Centre which has photos of the celebrities who've dined there? And I thought MemSaab was THE place for curries? That's what it always says in Nottinghamshire Today magazine.

Kolley Kibber said...

I'm one for a Nando's as well. The sauces are delicious. Did you know it's one of South Africa's most successful companies? No? Well you do now.