Tuesday 26 January 2010

Ugh, why do I do it?


Facebook, eh? Facebook. I had a load of Facebook 'friends' from work on my profile up until about ten months ago and then deleted them all off. I was getting sick of all the comments in the canteen about stuff I'd put on there. I use that 'status update' feature just to put throwaway stuff on, not anything particularly to chew over, something to keep me amused and alleviate the mundanity of my job.

Anyway, a colleague of mine was giving me a lift to work during the cold weather and he started banging on about why I was no longer on Facebook. So I had to make up this cock and bull story about deleting my profile (as it happens, every now and again I deactivate my profile just to have a rest from that whole Facebook thang) and that I'd now got a new one and would add him as a friend. I did this, much against my better judgement, but that guy had been doing me a favour all week and wouldn't let the Facebook thing drop.

So now it's started. His locker's next to mine so I have to look at him with his trousers around his ankles at 2.30pm while he asks what I've been buying in Argos (I'd made a throwaway comment about queueing in Argos), what the fuck's it got to do with him? Is he some kind of stalker who needs to know about the minutiae of my existence?

Today there's been lots of giggling and pointing in the canteen about something I'd said on Facebook about Angelina Jolie. You know it was just a joke, let it go, it's not important, get a life.

I think the fact is that most of them use Facebook purely as a means of poking their noses into other people's lives and perving over photos of them on holiday. I've had to delete a blog in the past because some nosey bastard at work couldn't let it lie that I had a blog. He trawled through Rush message boards searching for my profile, he eventually found me and the link to my blog, even though I used a pseudonym. I found the whole thing quite unnerving. Aren't you glad you don't work where I work?

3 comments:

Simon said...

Which is why I've never facebooked (although MrsB does) and haven't advertised my blog around work. Not that I mention work stuff in it much, but I just can't be doing with the hassle.

Bright Ambassador said...

Facebook's alright if you take it for what it is. I mainly use it for poking my nose into other people's lives and perving over their holiday snaps. Oh, hang on...

Jon Peake said...

I have a similar thing on my blog. Someone at work knows, and they leave sometimes cryptic little comments designed to rile me. Then it goes quiet. But I think I now know who it is. I can always ask IT to check for me though.

I only look at Facebook about once a month. It's useless to me.