Monday 9 November 2009

Searching for freedom from TV 'chefs'







I'm losing my patience with TV cookery shows. Come on, who actually makes any of that stuff they do on those shows? No me neither. The thing is these shows are everywhere, even supposedly primetime viewing. Let's look at what's on this week: Saturday Kitchen, Something for the Weekend, Come Dine With Me, The F Word, River Cottage, The Restaurant. They're just the ones off the top of my head. In recent weeks we've also had Jamie's American Adventure (pity he didn't get stay there), Britain's Best Dish, Cook's Challenge yada yada yada.
The thing is, who actually makes their own pasta? When Mr Heinz is quite prepared to make it for me and put it in a tin then I don't see why I should, I've got better things to do than dick around with one of those turny-handled pasta machines all afternoon.
The crunch came for me on Saturday morning when, I was getting ready to go out, there was this long lost relation of Jeremy Clarkson's (Valentine Warner?) on Saturday Kitchen doing something with a duck and an ingredient called puy lentils. The lentils ended up looking like puke. Green puke. Has anyone reading this ever eaten puy lentils?
I was in Waitrose a few weeks ago and overheard some fortysomething women banging on about how they'd like to be on the Chef's Table on Saturday Kitchen, like it was some kind of dream destination. And James Martin's 'a bit of alright, isn't he?'. That's the real reason they want to get on Saturday Kitchen, I fancy. They also like to make out they're some kind of experts 'there's so many flavours going off in there, it's great. The pan-fried* haddock really compliments those seared brussel sprouts.' Shut up.
Anyway, the only TV 'chef' I have any time for is Nigel Slater. He champions food that's not very good for you but tasty, and it's all 'oh, chuck however much you like in there'. And he writes great non-cookery books.




What I have enjoyed on the telly this week was something on Saturday night about the Berlin Wall. Post war Germany fascinates me from the 1970s in West Germany to the shitness of the old GDR. There were non-party people on this documentary who actually still mourned the passing of the GDR and still believed in its ideals. I suppose Communism is a good idea in principle, but anyone whose ever read Animal Farm knows it can never work.
What I also find interesting about the GDR is the Stasi, the secret police. This documentary told us that they were far worse, and in much greater in numbers, than the Gestapo ever was. They scared their own people so much they'd even managed to recruit an early 80s anti-Communist activist to spy on his mates. A brilliant documentary.
*A term I hate, by the way. How else does one fry something other than in a pan?

3 comments:

Jon Peake said...

It may not surprise you to know that not only have I eaten puy lentils (and made them), but also have cooked stuff off cookery shows.

I don't watch many of them though, except Slater, the odd Nigella (especially at Xmas - have you tasted her brownies?), River Cottage and some others, but I own nearly all the books.

I draw the line at the Hairy Bikers - food and hair do not mix - and Valentine Warner, who's just a posh twat and over-enjoys everything he makes.

To wit: 'Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, that's very, very, seriously, yummily, amazingly good'

Even though I say so myself, eh?

The cock.

Bright Ambassador said...

Have I tasted Nigella's brownies? I couldn't possibly comment. When I was buying my Times from WH Smith on Saturday I was offered a Times' reader's offer of Nigella's new cookery book for the knockdown price of £5. The dweeb on the checkout looked at me gone out when I told him I'd be interested if it actually was Nigella he was offering for £5. Some people have got no sense of humour...
Thinking back, perhaps it was the umpteenth time that day he'd heard the joke. Hey-ho.

Clair said...

I love Nigel. Just lovely food, and I am also v. fond of that Jamie At Home series, where the food is right up my street. And Nigella's chocolate Christmas cake is the Best Thing Ever, but I can very much do without her sticking her finger in everything and pulling a BJ face.