Wednesday 4 March 2009

Phil Oakey foresees internet dating


The internet's a bit quiet at the minute, ain't it? So as a means of finding something to blog about here's a quick iPod shuffle. Those with a nervous disposition may wish to look away now:


  1. Elbow - We're Away. A 'bonus' track from my version of The Seldom Seen Kid. It's filler and sounds like it. Drums played with brushes which I usually hate, unless it's a Nina Simone record.

  2. Rush - Ghost Rider. Honestly, I haven't made this up. A slow-burner about the death within a year of drummer Neil Peart's wife and daughter, and his subsequent retreat into four years of reclusiveness. A reclusiveness which found him touring North America alone on a motorbike, hence the title. One of the best songs they've done in the past 25 years.

  3. Radiohead - How to Disappear Completely. From Kid A, not my favourite Radiohead record. Thom Yorke's voice was really starting to get irritating by this stage in their career. Very whiney. The track itself is quite dreamy, acoustic guitars, strings, deadened drums and William Orbit-style 'noises'. Wouldn't sound out of place on one of those 'Ibiza Sunset' type compilations. I wouldn't normally choose to listen to it.

  4. Giorgio Moroder and Phil Oakey - Together in Electric Dreams. Hurrah! Proof that there are, what John Shuttleworth would call, 'fun tracks' on my iPod. From a film I saw once on pirate video about a bloke who meets a woman via computer. Or summat. Now whoever would have thought that picking people up via a computer would catch on? From what I remember the computer falls in love with the woman an'all (despite the fact it has no human emotions or sexual organs). Sorry to spoil it if you haven't seen it. Good song, even though I prefer Moroder's production work on the so-bad-it's-brilliant Son of My Father by Chicory Tip.

  5. Girls Aloud - Biology. Look, I can explain, I'm not gay. I don't care much for the tabloid exploits of this lot, but they - or their producers Xenomania - make very, very good pop records. I don't fancy any of them, by the way. Okay, if I had to make a choice it'd be Kimberley. Chubby cheeks, a false smile and a Bradford accent? What's not to like?

That's it. I was rather hoping for the Don Partridge track I downloaded this morning to come up, hey-ho.

7 comments:

Valentine Suicide said...

Didn't OMD predict text messaging and email with 'Messages'?

Bright Ambassador said...

I've just listened to Messages, and, quite frankly, I can't understand a bloody word he's on about.
If McCluskey does have a crystal ball, it's a pity he didn't foresee what a monumental pain in the arse Kerry Katona would turn out to be when he was putting Atomic Kitten together.
My sister fancied him, with his daft arm-dancing. There's no accounting for taste I suppose...
And their drummer looks like our cousin Nigel.

Mondo said...

I must check out Girls Aloud - there's nothing wrong with a bit of pop-gloss Kylie's Fever is almost pitch perfect from start to finish...

I must try a shuffle myself - ooerr

Blame it on a mix Ltd Edt mix I've been listening to called I'm Not Feeling Myself Tonight - full of saucy seventies samples and cheeky tunes mail you both the details later...

PS I always though Andie McDowell looked liked Andy McClunky

Bright Ambassador said...

Andie McDowell? Eeergh, that's wrong. I wonder if McCluskey has problems with those naughty grey hairs as well.

Our family could start a pop star lookalike agency:
Cousin Nigel is OMD drummer chap
Cousin Graham is a dead ringer for Martin Gore of Depeche Mode
My sister looks Keren Woodward off of Bananrama
Uncle Dick looks like a post-Botox Kenny Rogers
I look like the lovechild of Beth Ditto and Buster Bloodvessel

Jon Peake said...

Why don't you do Don Partridge anyway? Can we have Colour My World, please?

The Cat said...

Girls Aloud! Oh purlease, they're hardly Sugababes, are they?

The five tracks on my mp3 player (we call them "lighters" for some reason) would all be by Half Man Half Biscuit today because I replaced the 6CD Immediate Records box set with 48 tracks from the HMHB Peel sessions. Got them from http://theperfumedgarden.blogspot.com/2008/07/half-man-half-biscuit-peel-sessions.html and can highly recommend them.

Bright Ambassador said...

FC - The track was Rosie. I heard it on Radio Nottingham the other day (that's the sort of music they play) and I'd forgotten what a lovely, lovely little song it is. It might be easy enough fo rme to play on the uke. Perhaps I could meet someone called Rosie and serenade them with it.
I do have a track on my iPod called Colour My World but it's by Petula Clark. Is it the same song? It was appearing in my 25 Most Played at one point.

The Cat - Sugababes' Freak Like Me is brilliant but everything else they've done has kind of washed over me.
And what's the HMHB song that says something like "When you're alone and carrying tea and toast out of the kitchen, do you switch off the light with your chin?"?