Tuesday 17 March 2009

General Lee


Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, then. Did you see it? I did, it was superb. Mind you, I would say that because it spent a good ten minutes slagging off Chris Moyles, just for this one line: "Chris Moyles is unique in that he's the only man to have had more books published than he's actually read."
And I can't think of anyone else brave enough to go on TV and spend at least three minutes trying to repetitively describe rap 'singers' in the most uncrompehending way possible just to say at the end 'I don't think this book's really aimed at me'. Top drawer.
And Radio 4 topical panel shows got a kicking too. Good. Andy fucking Parsons take note. I heard The Now Show a couple of weeks ago. Jesus wept.

Put that next to Horne and Corden, the first episode of which I watched this morning. Oh dear. Not funny in the slightest. There was one mildly amusing bit that slagged off Ricky Gervais, which I perhaps would have found funnier if I'd actually seen the Karate Kid film on which the sketch was based. Most of the other jokes appeared to point out how fat Corden is. Ooh, my aching sides.
There was also a rather silly sketch involving a camp war reporter. It pandered to the stereotype that all gay men are obsessed with sex and are scared of bombs and stuff. Who isn't scared of bombs? I know I am. Where is BBC3 going? They cancel the excellent Pulling yet make tosh like this to pander to their 'priority artists' and still churn out Two Pints...

If you missed Lee, watch it here. And disregard that picture of Michael McIntyre at the bottom. By the way, any programme that uses Tom Hark as its theme tune has got to be worthy of your attention, yes?

2 comments:

The Cat said...

The problem with Radio 4 is that it's the same 10 production companies or so who are "preferred" on new slots/shows. The independents, who might bring something new to the table, haven't a chance.

Bright Ambassador said...

Looks like we're stuck with Punt & Dennis and that grinning, girl-faced imbecile Russell Howard then.