Monday 18 August 2008

Jo Whiley's a tit


I went on holiday a couple of weeks ago, before I went I thought I'd by myself a magazine. Perusing the shelves of a motorway services branch of WH Smith the cover of the current Q caught my eye. I think I must have bought every copy of that magazine between 1988 and 1998, but haven't had it for years what with all their 'list' issues. I only really bought it this time because Metallica were on the cover, and there was a great bit about The Raconteurs inside. Anyway, in the back they have a feature called The Ten Commandments - I don't think I need to explain the gist of this regular feature - and this month it was Jo Whiley. She gets my back up at the best of times, but she's just made it even worse. Get this:
Educate your children "I've shaped my 16 year-old daughter pretty well. There was a brief Spice Girls phase, but I soon crushed that out of her. It was the Arctic Monkeys, I think, that first turned her on to 'good' music. I'm grateful to them for that"

I hate parents who do that. One of the things behind me getting into more alternative types of music at an impressionable age was to piss my parents off, along with growing my hair and a beard and smoking jazz fags. The stuff I was bringing into the house was so much at odds with what everyone else was listening to that it might as well have been coming from another planet. Any record with one of those little Parental Advisory stickers on it was usually taken straight to the till at R&K Records. Even Ice T's Original Gangster album.
What gives Whiley the right to dictate to her daughter what she does and what she doesn't listen to? If she likes the Spice Girls so what? A lot of kids of her generation did. No doubt the child was listening to My Bloody Valentine in the womb.
Which is something you see an awful lot of in Rush fans.
"Er, yeah, when we went for the first scan we had Cygnus X-1* playing. Then when we went for the second scan Xanadu** was playing. At the birth we made sure as soon as the head popped out By-Tor and the Snow Dog*** was cued up on the stereo"

The thing is, with so many kids these days listening to their parents copies of Led Zeppelin 4 and Combat Rock the only way to rebel these days is to fill your iPod with music that's deeply unfashionable. I feel the ELP, Toyah and Celine Dion revival is just around the corner.

*10+ minute song about a doomed spacecraft.
**12+minute song based on the poem by Coleridge.
***10+ minute song about a battle between a dog and a fucking robot.

2 comments:

Jon Peake said...

She's so worried about being obsolete she has to say these things, even though at home she probably throws on Smokie or Wishbone Ash and actually gets the chance to be herself, releasing the daily pressure of having to be the female John Peel.

Daft cow.

Glad you're back, BTW.

Bright Ambassador said...

The main difference between her and Peel (of which there are many), is that Peel was never afraid to say that he still liked Tubular Bells or The Faces decades later.