Sunday 3 April 2011

Whadda Guy

I know John Medd's already blogged about this but I can't let it go without mentioning it. The Boat That Guy Built really is turning into one of my favourite telly programmes. Ever. If you've not seen it it's about 'world famous' (so 'world famous', in fact, that I'd never previously heard of him) motorbike racer and HGV mechanic (!) Guy Martin doing up a narrowboat. But Guy can't just go to the chandlers and B&Q and do up his boat, no, he has to do everything from scratch. Like build a mini foundry to make a kettle, go to Wedgewood's in Stoke to make a mug, make his own baked beans, blend his own tea, learn how to make a steam pump to power the shower, render some animal fat to make soap and weave his own sheets. In fact the bloke's so down to Earth he was prepared to admit on camera that he thought cotton came from a sheet.
Guy and his mate Mark are just a couple of lovely blokes doing stuff. That's all it is. Not much happens but it's just nice to see two blokes happy in each other's company dicking about. I like to see nice people doing nice things. In fact I did some research on Guy just to find out a bit more about him. Turns out he's got a film coming out. In 3D an'all, if you please. It's about his motorbike racing. Apparently in the world of road racing he's quite big news. Road racing's like the Isle of Man TT type stuff, no gravel traps or tyre walls. It's brick walls, manhole covers and telegraph poles that these fellas have to contend with. There's a lovely bit on the end of the trailer (see below) where Guy says "Some lads love going to the pub, some lads love shaggin'. I don't mind it but different people are into different things. I like doing this" Which I find incredibly refreshing. In fact we could tell how relaxed Guy is towards sex when a lady signwriter did some work on his boat on this week's TBTGB and it was clear she fancied him. I'm, not an expert in lady signals but I'm sure the fact that she kept asking if they could 'go below and make a cup of tea' wasn't particularly a request about hot beverages. Guy wasn't really listening though, he only had eyes for the roses he was painting on to the boat. I was screaming at the telly "Guy! She's bloody choking for it!" Bless him. Anyway, it's the last one next week and some of it was filmed in Newark. Hurrah! According to this week's Newark Advertiser, "Guy enjoyed filming in Newark and he says he 'had a good laugh'" Which is what it's all about really, isn't it? Good old Guy!
Oh, and he sounds like me when he talks.

Anyway, something else I've been enjoying just recently is Friday Night Dinner. It's one of the rare comedies these days that actually makes me, ugh, 'LOL'. It's got some famous people in it. You know, her off of Black Books, the lad off of The Inbetweeners and Jim Rosenthal's kid. It's incredibly well observed about family life. It revolves around a Jewish family meeting on a Friday night for dinner. We used to do the same when Mum and Dad were alive on a Saturday afternoon ('Getting your bottle filled' is how my brother-in-law used to describe it. Go figure). And it's the same set-up, an aloof dad whose always pottering and a mum who finds him exasperating but is still mad about him at the same time.
It also reminds me of the relationship I had with my sister. You may have grown up but when you go back to your parents house you regress back to childhood. I thought we were the only ones who carried on sitting on each other, tipping salt into each others drinks, eating Spiller's Shapes dog biscuits, trying to trip each other up and do a special thing whenever the other came to sit next to us (and I'm not going to tell you what that is because you'll talk about me) when we were in our twenties and thirties
It's the last one of them this week too, but the good news is that it's been recommissioned. Hurrah! Again!


6 comments:

John Medd said...

You'll do for me Driver. Any chance of a brew? Does cotton come from sheep? Mint! etc etc...

Hawkfall said...

I loved it. It reminded me of the Teenage Video Diaries programmes that BBC2 showed back in the early 90s. Normal people being themselves. 9/10, chief.

Bright Ambassador said...

Did you see that video diary by one Chris Needham? He was a teenage thrash metal freak from Loughborough. He turned in to a bit of a minor hero at the time. God, he reminds me of me when I was a turd. But I was able to grow a proper beard unlike his bumfluffy excuse for a moustache.
Here, copy and past this link, the whole episode's on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqJhX9EIotk

Hawkfall said...

Yes! That was the one I really had in mind, I had no idea the whole episode was on YouTube - BA you are a STAR, 10/10 chief!

I loved the episode, the normalcy of it all: the metal records, the fishing, his shy girlfriend, going to visit his Gran ("She's alright"). Watching it just makes you want to be 15 again, and that's not something that happens every day.

Bright Ambassador said...

There's In Bed With Chris Needham I remember and one about a guy who sold his house and business in Somerset and bought an old library vab to convert into a home and go and watch for the Loch Ness monster.
Now, I'm a sceptic but I just thought 'What a great thing to do.' I always remember him saying "People say to me 'Are you mad?' I reply 'No, you're mad for sticking with the rat race in a job you hate.'" I've never forgotten that, especially as I'd love to sell up and just go away in a VW Camper, a free spirit going where the mood took me. A bit like The Littlest Hobo only not a dog.

Anyway, glad I made you want to be 15 again - it's a great feeling, isn't it?

The Cat said...

Ee, I'm nithered. get a brew on chief!

My daughter loves it and she's six.