Wednesday 19 May 2010

I *heart* the 1980s




I reckon yesterday's attack on the 1980s may have made me look like a bit of a joy vacuum. Of course it wasn't all that bad, it's just that I get annoyed that the whole decade is summed up into Kajagoogoo, Rubik's Cubes, men in tea towels, Soda Streams and Margaret Thatcher.
I had a chat about the 1980s with my sister this morning. I said to her that I think you can't take part in a revival if you're old enough to remember it the first time around. To which she replied "Speak for yourself!" Mind you, she's hung up about getting older; she's 47 on Friday. Not only that but she's been a bit off with me since I found a booklet entitled Coping With the Menopause while clearing Mum's house, I don't think she took it very well when I tossed it to her and said "This might be of use to you."

Anyway, I've decided to compile a list of what I do like about the 1980s, in no particular order:




  1. Big Country


  2. Brookside


  3. Gregory's Girl


  4. Snogging


  5. CBTV


  6. An American Werewolf in London


  7. Microwavable doner kebabs


  8. Puma G Vilas trainers


  9. Local Hero


  10. The Stone Roses' Fools Gold and the second part of I Am the Resurrection


  11. The Cult's Electric


  12. My paper round


  13. Sagging school


  14. Aztec Camera's Oblivious


  15. No. 73


  16. My dad's delight at his weekly fix of The Dukes of Hazzard


  17. The cancellation of Doctor Who


  18. Tape-to-tape recorders


  19. Simple Minds


  20. The Sledgehammer video


  21. Clare Grogan


  22. The Sony Walkman


  23. John Swallow


  24. The Falklands war - quite entertaining for an 11 year-old


  25. Anything touched by the hand of Trevor Horn


  26. Raw Power (not The Stooges album but a late night heavy rock and metal TV show presented by the now editor-in-chief of Mojo magazine)


  27. Nottingham Forest winning the European Cup again


  28. Frank Sidebottom


  29. Blue Monday


  30. Holidays in Rock, Cornwall


  31. Viz


  32. Discovering the joys of Newcastle Brown Ale


  33. The Chart Show


  34. Leaving school


  35. The Tube


  36. The Young Ones


  37. Motorhead's No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith


  38. The poll tax riots


  39. The Comic Strip Presents...


  40. Mullets - that's mine in the photo, enjoy it while you can, it comes off tomorrow. Edit: you're too late, it's another mullet now.


  41. The YTS


  42. The Eight Legged Groove Machine and Astley in the Noose


  43. Eleanor's 'fun' pub in Newark Vegas


  44. The Police splitting


  45. Maconie, Collins and Quantick on the NME


  46. Smash Hits up to 1987


  47. Tom Hibbert in Q


  48. John Peel on Top of the Pops


  49. Ayrton Senna


  50. This record

4 comments:

Jon Peake said...

Kind of sums it. But you forgot The Sock Shop.

Kolley Kibber said...

I want to know more about Eleanor's Fun Pub, please.

Hawkfall said...

I saw The Wonder Stuff at Glasgow Barrowlands in 1987. They were supporting Zodiac Mindwarp & the Love Reaction (oh yes) and I had never heard of them. They flounced (no, really - flounced) on stage and started off with Ruby Horse and It's Yer Money I'm After Baby. I was hooked. Easily the best support act I've seen and one of the best live performances I've seen anyway. Full of life, energy and self-assurance. Sometimes I miss being young.

Bright Ambassador said...

ISBW - Posting about the 'fun' pub will take a lot of dredging up stuff from the past that perhaps ought to stay there. I'll give it some thought. I'll leave you with one image: vomit dripping off a table.

Thumps - I saw them in 1989 on the Hup tour. It was just before The Bass Thing (RIP) left which was something you could use to impress girls with: "You saw The Wonder Stuff with The Bass Thing? Oh wow..."
The B-side of the 12" of Who Wants to be the Disco King? had some live tracks on it, I'd never heard a singer in a band insult members of the audience until then.
Then they released The Size of a Cow and went crap.