Monday 26 April 2010

Mobile phone shops and the idiots who work in them


I know nothing about mobile phones, right? What I do know is that I'd like a phone which has a big screen to look at the internet while 'I'm on the move.' What I also know is that I've gone on to a new mobile phone tariff which means I get unlimited internet browsing* and texts. So I want to change my phone. I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket, what I don't have is the knowledge.
First port of call is Newark's O2 shop. I tell the bloke what I've just told you and he hands me tons of stuff to take home and read, recommending the Nokia 5800. Take the stuff home, I digest it and go on holiday. Last Saturday I went back into the store and said to the assistant "I'm an existing O2 customer and would like that phone please" pointing at the Nokia 5800. After a lot of toing and froing he decides they don't have any in stock but he'll phone me on Tuesday to tell me he's got one from somewhere else. The phonecall doesn't happen.

I had to go to Nottingham yesterday so thought I'd pop along to the O2 shop there and see if they had one. The shop was busy but that didn't stop three members of the staff talking at the till about one of them having problems with is flatmate. I paced up and down, sighing, finally grabbing the man with the flatmate issues. I said to him "I'm an existing O2 customer and would like that phone please" pointing at the Nokia 5800. After a lot of toing and froing he decides that there are none in stock. "Have you tried the store near the Broadmarsh Centre?" he asked. I replied I hadn't but perhaps he'd like to phone that shop and ask if they've one in stock to save me the walk. To do this he needs to go back behind the counter. He shouts, shouts, across the shop "THEY HAVEN'T GOT ONE EITHER! HAVE YOU TRIED OUR ONLINE SHOP!" I told him the Nokia 58-fucking-00 isn't available from the O2 online store (although I didn't really say "58-fucking-00" because I'm polite). "OH, MAYBE THEY'VE DISCONTINUED IT THEN!" he bellowed back. Right 1) if they've discontinued it, why is it still on display in the shops and 2) the little fucker didn't bother offering me an alternative, he just wandered off. I left in a huff.

Walked into the Victoria shopping centre across the road and tried the Carphone Warehouse. Told the guy my requirements and he sold me on something that would have suited my needs perfectly. "Right, I'll take one" I said. Apparently if I wanted one he'd have to order it from Head Office. Jesus wept, all I want is a new mobile to take home. What's wrong with these people?

Phones 4 U next (God, I fucking hate their name). Didn't even get to speak to anyone in there because the shop was empty and the five members of staff were bust jerking each other off behind the counter. What looked like the manager was peering out of the shop front and down the concourse. As I passed him on my way out I said to him "You've just lost a sale, mate."

I fucking hate mobile phone shopping. Why is it so difficult? I know the staff are probably underpaid and bored, but I was always taught about customer service when I worked direct with the public. Sorry for boring you...

Why can't all mobile phone shops be like this:


*subject to fair usage

4 comments:

Jon Peake said...

It is the most huge effort to go to one of those places. It always involved lenghty phone calls and endless form filling for not very much. When my contract ends, I'm binning off my phone and just going with my work iphone, as then it's all taken care of for me and I won't have to worry about it.

I wish you well.

Hawkfall said...

This is a really weird coincidence as I just bought a new mobile phone this weekend myself. What is interesting to me is that here in Italy the law states that you can't sell any mobile phone unless you also sell an unlocked version (the Italians distrust any form of contract). That includes the iphone and all the other fancy ones.
Anyway, my point is I bought my unlocked phone on Saturday. Then, this lunchtime I went and bought a SIM card on a pay-as-you-go deal. Internet and calls. Combined, it probably took about 20 mins.

Kolley Kibber said...

I put off changing my phone for as long as humanly possible because I hate going through what you've just described. The last time I was compelled to (because my '0' button had finally stopped working forever), I had a similar runaround. That was three years ago, and staff training obviously hasn't improved.

I worked in shops when I was in my twenties, and though it was as boring and badly paid as it is now, we'd have been sacked if we treated customers like that. GAH!!

Simon said...

And yet I had no problems at all with the staff in the T-mobile shop here in Ipswich when contract ended last. Very helpful, went over several different handsets for both me and MrsB and managed to save us money and improve my package (fnarr) too.