Wednesday 23 December 2009

May I extend Yuletide felicitations to you?

Well another year over, and 2009 was a right old bag of shite: the death of a parent, a massive disappointment selling her house (thanks a bunch Ms fucking Miller of 15 Dunghill Mansions, Newark. You knew the circumstances under which we were selling the house, you sow) and then topped off nicely with a redundancy scare (I'm still in gainful employment, unlike forty of my ex-colleagues, poor sods). So it'll be a massive relief to see the back of it. I'm not normally one for New Year's Eve but I'm going to buy the biggest firework available to let off this Dec. 31st/Jan. 1st as a final 'piss off' to a shit year.

Anyway, I know I don't normally give much away on this blog, but I've been thinking about Mum and Dad a lot these past few days. Things reached a peak when I heard this on the radio last night. It's a song I remember from my childhood and surprised myself by knowing all the words. It's lovely.

Add to that all the Alan Bennett stuff that's been on telly lately (both Mum and Dad loved him, and as a tribute I'm going with sis to see one of his plays with Alison Steadman next year, which Mum said she'd liked to have seen), Ed Stewart promoting Junior Choice on Radio 2 ("'Ello darlin'!") a general air of melancholy and the fact we won't taste her trifle this Christmas has left me feeling incredibly sad. I daren't even watch that Oliver Postgate documentary that was on last night, I'll save that till after Crimbo, I think. Postgate's voice just transports me back to the front room of our 1930s three bed semi on Elm Avenue with Mum in the kitchen making something yummy. And don't even get me started on the organ, flute and Richard Baker intro to Mary, Mungo and Midge "A town is full of buildings..."

I'm not one to burst into tears - I'm a man after all, and not given to tears - but I think Christmas has highlighted the fact that I'm now, technically, an orphan. Boo-hoo for me.

Anyway, enough of the self-pity, which I normally hate, and may I wish you a Merry Christmas and a spiffing 2010. I'll see you on the other side, hopefully a bit more regularly than of late. Sorry this post's a bit depressing. To cheer you up have this Top Tip from Viz: "Former member of 10cc Lol Creme, don't sign your name at the end of text messages conveying bad news." Aah, LOL!

Have this for Christmas too, Mark Radcliffe always used to play it at Christmas and I love it.

12 comments:

Clair said...

Funny you should mention that Seekers song; I heard it on the radio last week, started singing along, felt a huge lump in my throat and burst into tears. I never let self-pity stop me.

Here's to a better 2010 for us all.

xxx

The Cat said...

My year was better than many I've had recently and I'm hoping next year is even better (assuming I get this bloody book finished!).

I hope 2010 is better for you and thanks for the entertaining blogs this year.

Cheers

The Cat
=^..^=

Matthew Rudd said...

2010 will be your year, pal.

Valentine Suicide said...

For me, this one was better than the last.
I wish you all the best for the next.

Merry Christmas,

Jon Peake said...

God what a year you've had. I wish you a very merry Xmas and all the best for 2010. thanks for being such a top notch thoroughly entertaining blogger.

Ms Miller in for a whole lot of bad karma.

Hawkfall said...

Sorry to hear that your year has been so shite, here's hoping 2010 will be better.

Merry Christmas.

Kolley Kibber said...

Ah, lad, I get it. It does ease, but only gradually.

My best to you.

office pest said...

All the best chap, and I hope your Christmas is relaxing. A new decade lies before us! Hm.

Bright Ambassador said...

You're all wonderful people.

As Tiny Tim says "God bless us, every one!"

Anonymous said...

ugg
uggs
ugg boots shoes
ugg boots
ugg shoes
ugg boots on sale
uggs outlet
Classic Ugg Boots
ugg sandals
wholesale Ugg Boots
wholesale uggs
Fashion Ugg boots
cheap ugg shoes
Bailey Button UGG Boots
Ugg Bailey Button
Classic Cardy Ugg Boots
Ugg Classic Cardy
Classic Mini Ugg Boots
Mini Ugg Boots
Classic Short Ugg Boots
Ugg Classic Short
Classic Tall Ugg Boots
Ugg Classic Tall
Infant Erin Ugg Boots
Baby Ugg Boots
Nightfall Ugg Boots
Ugg Nightfall
Short Metallic Ugg Boots

Sundance II Ugg Boots
Sundance 2 Ugg Boots
Tall Metallic Ugg Boots
UGG Amelie Suede Sandals
Amelie Suede Sandals Ugg Boots
UGG Fluff Flip Flop
UGG Tasmina Braid Sandals
Tasmina Braid Sandals Ugg Boots
UGG Tasmina Sandals
Tasmina Sandals Ugg Boots
Ultra Short Ugg Boots
Ultra Tall Ugg Boots
Jerseys
Wholesale NBA Jerseys

Bright Ambassador said...

Is that your Christmas list, hxr? I see you have a weakness for overpriced Australian boots that wouldn't have looked out of place on WWII bomber crews.

Clair said...

...or fat birds slipping over on the recent snow.