Thursday 30 April 2009

Songs that should NEVER be covered no.3

Hi, Cathy Dennis here. You may remember me for having chart hits like Touch Me (All Night Long) and writing songs for people like Sophie Ellis-Bextor, S Club 7 and Katy Perry. Well before I could write my own songs I thought I'd have a go at murdering someone else's. Enjoy!



Ay-up, Rick Allen here, one-armed drummer of down-to-earth Sheffield-based pop metal sell-outs, Def Leppard. A few years ago we nicked an idea from Rush of doing an album of cover versions of songs that inspired us as kids. Here's our stab at one of the most perfect songs ever written. Even though it was written by some shandy-drinking Cockney about that thee're fancy London...

4 comments:

Matthew Rudd said...

Heh. I hate to be a pedant (no I don't, I love it actually) but Cathy Dennis covered Waterloo Sunset long *after* she started writing her own songs, as she wrote Touch Me and Just Another Dream and Too Many Walls etc, all hits in the early 90s.

I remember playing that version of Waterloo Sunset on Hallam FM in 1997, and the CD started skipping, allowing me to say, unrehearsed, "It's not every day Cathy Dennis jumps on you."

Mondo said...

Bowie did a version (you can try it here )
- but like most of his material since Scary Monsters sounds a bit clinical

Bright Ambassador said...

Matt - I suggest you take that up with Cathy herself as she wrote that bit of the post, clearly. She must aslo write her own Wikipedia page...

Matthew Rudd said...

Heh. She's also utterly barking, as anyone who has observed her antics on NMTB will confirm.