Tuesday 9 January 2018

Brum Brum.

Ah, 2018 then. How are you? Oh right, excellent. Anyway, enough about you, as it's a new year and a chance to set out some new life goals, I thought I'd go back to blogging. The micro-blogging of Twitter doesn't interest me at the moment so I thought I'd have a go at this again. See how it goes, and all that. Just a quick one to ease me in:

There is absolutely nothing I don't love about this photograph.



It's Rush outside the Holiday Inn in Birmingham in 1978. A very West Midlands' decade, were the 70s, think about it: ELO, Black Sabbath, Wizzard, Trevor Francis at Birmingham City, Spaghetti Junction, Jasper Carrott, Tiswas ATVLand Birmingham B1 2JP, John Swallow, Red Robbo, the Bull Ring, Crossroads etc. The Brutalism architecture in Brum is one of its great strengths, I find. What a pity theses days that the city seems intent on erasing every last piece of it. I mean, look at the concrete in that Holiday Inn. Also look at the Renault 16. They were everywhere then. I really hope that's the car which will transport the Canadian rockers to the Birmingham Odeon. A very Renault decade was the 70s. And look at Rush, a very Rush decade was the 70s, with their epic twenty minute songs, moustaches and Geddy Lee's boots...

4 comments:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Who knows what late night antics took place in that palace after the show?

Bright Ambassador said...

Knowing Rush the antics would've just consisted of a bottle of Chevas Regal and a doobie.

Hawkfall said...

Great that you're back blogging. I'm also doing the same and for much the same reasons as you're expressing above.

I like how cheap things were in the 70s and early 80s. When I saw the image below in Kerrang in 1981 or so I thought it was impossibly glamorous. Looking back now, it seems as though Judas Priest are staying at a B&B while on tour.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_OS5vOZEsnkk/TUWqNRBq4uI/AAAAAAAACgc/rfb9D8Un2ss/s720/judaspp1.png

Bright Ambassador said...

I guess touring seems rather glamorous to the uninitiated but I guess the reality for most bands is rather closer to The Comic Strip Presents Bad News Tour: motorway caffs, arguments, clapped out vans and getting ripped off.