Monday 8 October 2012

Disappointed

The Jimmy Savile thing then. I must say that I'm hugely disappointed:

Disappointed that this man used to come into our homes of a Thursday and Saturday night and, as a child, I was sold on him being an eccentric man who was indescribably wealthy who made people's dreams come true and did loads of good works for charity. And that was it.

Disappointed that his colleagues and acquaintances of his knew of rumours of his alleged deviency but did nothing to address the situation.

Disappointed that there may be loads of other people who use their standing in the entertainment world as licence to do the same thing or similar.

Disappointed that people whom I previously respected and thought would have stood up for themselves putting their career before reporting sexual harrasment in the workplace.

Disappointed that The Sun are - quite rightly - expressing their horror at underage sex, and then over the page there's an opinion piece by a Page 3 girl called Peta about why people are wrong to call for Page 3 to be dropped.

Sorry, Coldplay but we live in a horrible world.


3 comments:

Kolley Kibber said...

Well said. I'd heard all the rumours about him years ago so can't admit to disappointment, but the scale of collusion around him has been even worse than I imagined. And just change the main character for some other 'untouchable' celeb and you'll find it all still going on out there, right now.

Bright Ambassador said...

I can't help but think that the necrophilia rumours (which I knew nothing of until after he died) were perhaps fanned by Savile himself to deflect attention away from what he was really up to.
And as for the Liz Kershaw allegations, I have a feeling my avatar might be changing.

Löst Jimmy said...

I'm somewhat stunned, the terrible deeds of Savile is one thing but the institutional cover-up is sickening. What, who else?